Regensburg (German Regensburg, Latin Castra Regina or Reginum, Neo-Latin and in other Romance languages Ratisbon, French Ratisbonne) is a Bavarian city on the Danube in Germany. Approximately 153,000 inhabitants live here. The city has the status of a city district (Kreisfreie Stadt), it is also the administrative center of the Bavarian government district of Upper Palatinate and the district of Regensburg. The center of the diocese to which the Czech lands belonged before the proclamation of the Prague diocese was located here (973). The Celtic seat, which was located here before the establishment of the Germanic city, was called Radasbona or Ratispona. The historic center of the city has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2006.
Regensburg is located in the northernmost point of the Danube, at the bend of the river, where the rivers Naba (Naab) and Regensburg (obsolete Regensburg, German Regen) flow into it. The city is located at the border of four areas: the Bavarian Forest (S and NE), the Gäuboden loess area (V and SE), the Tertiary hills in the south and the Franská Alba mountains in the west.
Regensburg is the fourth largest city in Bavaria. At present, approximately 153,000 people live on its territory. The area of the city cadastre is 80.76 km², the population density is 1737 inhabitants / km². It lies at an altitude of 343 m.
The vehicles registered here have the state registration number R. The range of 93047 to 93059 is set for the Regensburg postal code.
Regensburg was one of the oldest German urban settlements in Germany and in the 12th-13th century the largest and richest city in southern Germany.
Already in ancient times there was a Celtic center called Radasbona, which later turned into Ratisbona. Around 70, the Romans established a military camp for the cohort, which Emperor Marcus Aurelius expanded in 179 to a camp for the legion called Castro Regina ("fortress on the river Regen"). In the 4th century, this fortified place was destroyed by the Germans.
At the beginning of the 6th century, the Agilolfing family, the dukes of the forming Bavarian tribe, who converted to Christianity in the 7th century, settled on the ruins of a Roman camp. In the year 739 here St. Boniface established a diocese and an imperial abbey was established above the tomb of St. Jimrama. In 788, Charles the Great ended the reign of the Agilolfings, and Regensburg became one of the residences of the Charlesites, later the seat of the rulers of the East Frankish Empire.
In the 12th and 13th centuries, Regensburg reached its peak. It expanded its trade ties, the connection was established via the Brenner Pass with, among other things, Venice. The first stone bridge was built in the town in the 12th century, whose architect also built the Judith Bridge in Prague. For Prague, Regensburg represented the gate to the west. The city was gradually liberated from the power of the Dukes of Bavaria and the bishops of Regensburg, until in 1245 it became a free imperial city. In the 14th century, however, they were overshadowed by the then rapidly developing Augsburg and Nuremberg. In 1542, the town council temporarily adopted the Lutheran faith.
In the years 1663–1802, Regensburg became the permanent seat of the Reichstag, which was a kind of prelude to the German parliament. In 1803, it lost the status of a free city and, as a secular principality, it belonged to the Archbishop of Mainz, Theodor Karl von Dahlberg. In 1809 it was conquered by the French and in 1810 it fell to Bavaria.
Relations with the Czech lands
Regensburg as one of the centers of the Franconian, respectively. The East Frankish Empire was important for neighboring Bohemia as early as the 9th century. In 845, 14 unknown Czech princes came to it to receive baptism here together with their companions. The isolated act is significant in that 14 nobles acted together and at the same time independently of the Great Moravian Mojmir I oriented towards Passau. The event commemorates the plaque on the ko