Diana cable car
The Diana cable car is the last (third) completed ground cable car in Karlovy Vary. It was built between 1911 and 1912. At the time it was put into operation, it was the longest cable car in Austria-Hungary.
It was decided to build a cable car to the Výšina předásttví hill (today the name Diana is more commonly used) in 1911. The forested hill was criss-crossed with a network of paths used by spa guests, but the problem was their poor accessibility from the valley, where most of the spa buildings were located. The track was built in 1911-1912 according to the project of the Swiss engineer H.H. Peter, the contractor was the Viennese construction company Leo Arnoldi, and the technical equipment came from the company Österreichische Siemens Schuckert Werke. Its operation began on August 5, 1912, a few weeks after the second cable car to the Imperial Hotel was commissioned. The well-known Diana lookout tower with a restaurant at the top of Friendship Height was completed only two years after the cable car was put into operation (May 27, 1914), before that there was no building on the hill. The operation of the track was seasonal, from April to October, the interval was approximately 15 minutes. Unlike the two cable cars on Imperial, which were built and operated by a private company, the cable car on Diana was financed by the city of Karlovy Vary, in whose property the cable car was also located.
The condition of the cable car after the Second World War was bad, but it was not reconstructed until the mid-1960s. In 1954, the cable car was taken over from the city by the newly founded Transport Company of the City of Karlovy Vary, however, it never became part of Karlovy Vary public transport (unlike the Imperial railway). Year-round operation was introduced on the track in 1960. Modernization of the cable car took place during permanent shutdowns from September 1963 to June 1965. New cars were delivered, the track and the lower station were reconstructed. After the resumption of operation, the cable car again ran year-round. In the years 1972–1974, the electrical equipment was reconstructed. From January 1, 1976, the cable car, as well as the entire Karlovy Vary public transport, was operated by the national enterprise ČSAD Plzeň, the Karlovy Vary transport plant.
Due to the poor condition of the track, its operation was stopped in 1980 (similar to the Imperial Tunnel Cable Car) and its fate was unclear. In 1984, its complete reconstruction was started, which was carried out by the Polish company Budimex. The same cars and technology as the Imperial line were used, the only difference being the black "DIANA" lettering on both fronts of both newly delivered cars, as well as the fact that they had doors on either side of the body. The upper station was also reconstructed. The operation of the cable car on Diana was resumed on December 20, 1988.
In 1992 and 1993, city transport, including both cable cars, was operated by the newly established ČSAD Plzeň plant, the Karlovy Vary MHD transport company, and from 1993 the new city transport company ČSAD MHD Karlovy Vary, which since 2001 has been called Dopravní podnik Karlovy Vary, a. s.
The inclined length (actual) of the cable car is 453 m, the horizontal length is 418 m, the height difference is 167 meters, the travel time is 395 s (approximately 6.5 minutes), the track gauge is 1000 mm. The track is single-track, with a switch in the middle with Abt switches. It runs partly at ground level, partly in a cut, partly along an embankment. The railway has three stations – the lower Stará louka (in the past it was also called Hotel Pupp) near the Grandhotel Pupp (389 m above sea level), the middle Jeléní skok (473 m above sea level) in the area of the switch and the upper Diana (originally Friendship Height, 556 m above sea level). An interesting fact is that the middle station is located exactly in the middle of the track, so both cars stop here at the same time (at the switch). The track is crossed by three underpasses and three overpasses. Stations have platforms on both sides, cars also have doors on both sides. The railway engine room is located in the upper tent