Amurbrücke (Dnipro)

Article

July 5, 2022

The Amur Bridge (Ukrainian Амурський міст) is a road and railway bridge over the Dnieper River in the Ukrainian city of Dnipro. Locally it is also called the Old Bridge (Старий міст) in contrast to the New Bridge opened in 1966 some 2.5 km downstream. It connects the Raion Central on the right with the Raion Amur-Nyshnyodnipro on the left, east bank of the Dnieper.

Ekaterinoslav railway bridge (1884)

Yekaterinoslav, today's Dnipro, founded by Prince Potemkin on the instructions of Empress Catherine II in 1787, received the floating bridge from Kremenchuk in 1789 (other information: the first floating bridge in Yekaterinoslav was built in 1796). In the 19th century, hard coal mining in the Donbas and the iron ore deposits in the Kryvbas around the city of Kryvyi Rih led to rapid industrialization and thus to an increase in traffic, which the floating bridge could no longer cope with. In the course of the new Katharinenbahn, the long-desired bridge over the Dnieper near Yekaterinoslav had to be built. Nikolai Belelubsky, whose Sysran railway bridge over the Volga had been opened in 1880, was commissioned with its planning. The Yekaterinoslav Railway Bridge, built between 1882 and 1884, was a double-decker bridge that had a track on the lower tier and a wooden road with two walkways on the upper tier. The 1245 m long truss bridge had 15 openings with 83 long girders. The road was connected via small fish-belly girders, with which it was guided diagonally out of the track route, and long ramps up to the general street level. In 1914, their supporting structures were significantly strengthened. It survived World War I including Operation Punch unscathed, but was damaged and repaired in the subsequent Russian Civil War. In 1935 the first tram line ran over it. During the Second World War it was bombed by the Wehrmacht in 1941 and two of its carriers were destroyed. The Red Army therefore had to retreat over a pontoon bridge. In 1943 a temporary wooden bridge was erected, which was used for almost 10 years.

(Old) Amur Bridge (1955)

After the war, work began on a new building similar to the Kryukov Bridge, which had been rebuilt a little earlier, and was completed in 1955. As far as possible, the old pillars were used. The double-decker bridge again has track on the lower level, but on the upper level a wide cantilevered carriageway for four lanes and sidewalks separated by Jersey barriers. A tram also operates in the middle lanes. The bridge consists of 14 parallel lattice girders with a height of 11.25 m and an equally long girder designed as a lifting bridge, where the lower level can be raised a few meters by a cable system with pulleys to allow larger ships to pass. The upper level with the road traffic remains unaffected by the lifting process. The posts of the upper framework function here as telescopic feeders for the hangers on the lower level. J.A.L. Waddell realized a similar design as early as 1911 with the ASB Bridge over the Missouri River in Kansas City, Missouri. The girders have a length of 1261 m. Together with the small bridges, with which the roadways are guided diagonally out of the track route, the bridge structure has a total length of 1395 m. In the 1970s, one track on the bridge was no longer sufficient for the increased traffic. Therefore, a further, single-track railway bridge was built a few meters next to the existing bridge, which was inaugurated in 1977. Their trusses are the same length but slightly lower than those of the previous bridge. It also has a carrier designed as a lifting bridge.

Web Links

Dnipropetrovsk railway bridge. In: Structures Historical postcard (before