Theater an der Wien
November 30, 2021
The Theater an der Wien is a traditional theater on Linke Wienzeile, in Vienna's 6th district of Mariahilf, which is operated as part of the United Theater in Vienna. Since the beginning of 2006 it has been nicknamed Das neue Opernhaus. The theater currently has 1,129 seats and 50 standing places.
While wealthy (Viennese) society was able to fulfill its need for theater at the two court stages (National Theater and Kärntnerthor Theater) in the 18th century, the less well-to-do classes used performances from (often sensational) stages until the late 18th century of the suburbs. Before 1800 there were a few suburban permanent theaters, but these mostly only lasted for a short time. Only three suburban theaters were left lasting: the k. k. priv. Theater in der Leopoldstadt (1781), the Theater in der Josephstadt (1788) and the Theater an der Wien (1801). The nearby Freihaus Theater, which opened in 1787 and performed as a provisional, was financially at an end in 1799 when Emanuel Schikaneder, lyricist the Magic Flute and head of the house since 1792, the theater-loving businessman Bartholomäus Zitterbarth (1751–1806) ceded the Freihaustheater on March 1, 1799 for 63,266 guilders. Zitterbarth had already invested 130,000 guilders in the property and hoped that the purchase would give Schikaneder the privilege of building a new theater that had existed since 1786. However, this has failed. Zitterbarth and Schikaneder - both Freemasons - became partners, and in 1799 Zitterbarth acquired the property, while Schikaneder applied for a building permit for the planned theater and received it on April 3, 1800, from Emperor Franz II Opened on June 13, 1801, the Empire-style building is only preserved on the outside today on Lehárgasse and (heavily changed) on Millöckergasse, where the Papagenotor (by the Pest sculptor Jacob Schroth) the builder as Papageno with his younger siblings in the heroic - Comical opera Das Labyrinth (1798, continuation of the Magic Flute) shows. In 1803 and 1804 Ludwig van Beethoven lived for some time in a rear wing of the theater building while he was composing his opera Leonore. The privileged Schauspielhaus an der Wien was the only Viennese theater to have the special honor of hosting a performance to be attended by the newlyweds and their families as part of the celebrations for the marriage of Emperor Franz II to Maria Ludovika Beatrix von Modena on the 6th of the previous month. The opera Armide with music by Christoph Willibald Gluck was performed in the house, which was lavishly adapted for this purpose. The owner and director of the Theater in der Josefstadt, recognized as extremely charitable, Franz Pokorny (1797–1850), also acquired the in May 1845 (end of August 1845 as a structurally and stage-technically adapted) theater to be reopened in Vienna and took over its management. In the revolutionary year of 1848 Pokorny corresponded to the prevailing thinking of the street with the (officially approved) renaming of the house to National-Theater an der Wien. The name change took place on April 13, 1848 with the 13th performance of Roderich Benedix 'Das mooste Haupt or Der long Israël and subsequently resulted in the imperial court staying away from the theater and in 1849 completely distancing itself from the house by resigning from the lodge . Pokorny had taken over financially in those years with the commitment of big names such as Jenny Lind and Giacomo Meyerbeer. In 1848 regular theater operations were no longer possible, and Pokorny announced the entire opera staff on September 1 of that year. After Franz Pokorny's death on August 5, 1850, his son Alois Pokorny (1825-1883) took over the management of the National Theater the W