Rosetta (Egipto)

Article

July 1, 2022

Rosetta is the name given by the French, during Napoleon's campaign in Egypt, to the city of Rashid, an Egyptian port enclave on the Mediterranean Sea. It is located 65 km northeast of Alexandria. It is the modern settlement of ancient Bolbitine, which is a little further to the north. In the Middle Ages, Rosetta was a place of great commercial importance and continued to flourish until the construction of the Mahmudiyeh Canal and the improvement of the port of Alexandria diverted most of its trade to the latter city.

History

With the decline of Alexandria, after the Ottoman conquest of Egypt in the 16th century, Rosetta flourished, only to decline in importance with the resurgence of Alexandria. During the 19th century, it was a popular tourist destination among the English. It is famous for being the place where the Rosetta Stone was found by French soldiers under the command of French Captain Pierre-François Bouchard on July 19, 1799, when they were preparing the fortifications of Fort Julien, which owes its name to the aide-de-camp of Napoleon Bonaparte, killed in a skirmish against the Mamluks a year earlier.

Demographics

The population of Rosetta increased in the 1980s. In 1983 it had 36,711 inhabitants, in 1986 it reached 51,789 and in 1996 there were 58,432 inhabitants.

Image Gallery

External Links

Wikimedia Commons hosts a media category for Rosetta.