Iso Linnanmäki

Article

November 30, 2021

Iso Linnamäki or Isolinnamäki or Porvoo Castle Hill is a hill castle in Uusimaa in the center of Porvoo along the Porvoonjoki River and on the edge of Old Porvoo. The hill castle has been modified a few times since then. The site is part of the nationally significant ancient remains, which include Old Porvoo in addition to Linnamäki.

Mäkilinna

Linnamäki consists of a moraine ridge, next to which the Porvoonjoki River flows into the Gulf of Finland, three kilometers away. Today, Linnamäki is located right on the edge of the Porvoo grid pattern and is quite central to the cityscape. A pine forest grows in the area. The hill rises less than 30 meters above sea level and at its top is an almost rectangular central platform measuring 32 × 47 meters. The plateau is surrounded by two moats, which have always been dry, i.e. they were so-called dry graves. The construction of the moats has required extensive earthmoving work. There have been no traces of the defense equipment built on the ramparts, so they had probably been made of wood. On the plateau of the castle yard there are no structures other than two pits with a diameter of ten meters and a depth of two meters. They have been interpreted as remnants of storage cellars. In addition, the castle house, the soup building and the workshop are located on the plateau.

History

Excavations in the area have separated layers of burnt earth dating back to the 7th and 20th centuries that tell of human activity on the site. The earliest construction phase of Linnamäki probably dates back to the 8th century. These Iron Age facilities would then also include the adjacent residence of the same period and Pikku Linnamäki Cemetery. During the period of use of the cemetery, the cemetery was located on an island in the Porvoonjoki estuary, which is now attached to the mainland. The castle hill does not appear in written sources until 1555–1556 (Jakob Teit's list of appeals). The surviving structures today are thought to date to the late 14th century. The developer of this equipment could then possibly be either Bo Joninpoika Grip or Jeppe Djäkn. It is also possible that Linnamäki is mentioned in medieval sources as Wartholm. Castle Hill has only been used for a few years or a few decades. To the south of the castle has been a bay called the port of Maari, which has now collapsed. The medieval structures have undoubtedly been altered and some of the current visible features are young. For example, moats have been excavated in the early 20th century. Sand has also been taken from the southern slope.

Care and guidance

Iso Linnamäki has been a park-like area for decades, but for centuries it has been a place to visit and visit. The current boundaries of the treatment area and conservation area follow the hill roots around the hill. There is a parking lot under the hill with a signboard. From there, there are paths leading to the hill, where stairs have been built in steep places. These include the shorebird, the yellow clove, the wormwood, the ketchup, the centaurea scabiosa, the goat's tube and the Verbascum nigrum.

Investigations

It is known that in 1864 Cajander went to search for places, but found no objects to be mentioned. In 1886 J. R. Aspelin and in 1971 Torsten Edgren carried out excavations at the site. Aspelin explored the castle courtyard almost completely, though perhaps not the entire cultural layer to the bottom. In the area were found fireplaces assembled from the stones of that time and two large warehouses

INSERT INTO `wiki_article`(`id`, `article_id`, `title`, `article`, `img_url`) VALUES ('NULL()','Iso_Linnanmäki','Iso Linnanmäki','In the area were found fireplaces assembled from the stones of that time and two large warehouses','https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Iso_Linnam%C3%A4ki_Porvoo_200414.JPG')