Atomic bomb dome
Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome (広島平和記念碑) is a World Heritage Site in Japan, commonly referred to as Genbaku Dome (原爆ドーーム). It was the only structure left standing in the area where the first atomic bomb was detonated on August 6, 1945. Thanks to the efforts of many people, including the residents of the city of Hiroshima, it was preserved in its post-bombing condition. It is not only a symbol of the most destructive force created by mankind, but also an expression of hope for world peace and the destruction of nuclear weapons.
History of the cathedral
Based on plans drawn up by Czech architect Jan Letzel, construction began in 1914 on the eastern bank of the Motojasu River and was completed the following year, 1915. It functioned as an exhibition hall until the atomic bomb was dropped, in an attempt to promote the industrial development of the city. The first atomic bomb exploded right above it, which is why the structure of the building could remain. When the city began its reconstruction, it became known as Genbaku Dome.
The exhibition hall was a three-story brick building with a 5-story central part covered with a dome in the middle, which is 25 meters high. The facade was plastered with stone and cement. The dome could be reached by a staircase, which was located at the central entrance.
The main building was 150 meters away from the explosion, which almost completely destroyed it. The roof and floor collapsed, as did most of the interior walls from the second floor up. Since the explosion came almost completely from above, the central part with the dome could remain standing. The fountain, located on the south side of the western-style garden, has also been preserved. The current form of the building has completely preserved its condition after the explosion. Its authenticity cannot be disputed, only minimal interventions were carried out on it to preserve its stability.
The Peace Memorial Park
The Peace Memorial Park, where the cathedral is the central attraction, was created between 1950 and 1964. The Peace Memorial Museum in the park was opened in 1955. Since 1952, the park has been the site of the annual commemoration on August 6. In 1966, the City Council adopted the decision that the cathedral should be preserved forever.
UNESCO World Heritage website