Bode Museum

Article

November 30, 2021

The Bode Museum (German: Bode-Museum), which opened in 1904 as the Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum, is part of the Museum Island complex in Berlin and was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1999. Creating in accordance with dynastic traditions III. It was initiated by the German emperor Frederick in his heirs to the throne. His artistic concept was founded by his current namesake, Wilhelm von Bode, the great art historian of the age. The main collections of the museum are an exhibition of medieval European sculptures, a collection of Byzantine art and a coin collection. All three thematic collections are of outstanding international importance. There is also a series of paintings by the Gemäldegalerie in Berlin from old masters, which are thematically and artistically related to the objects on display here. In a total of sixty-six rooms, 1700 small and large sculptures (ivory, marble, wood), more than 150 paintings and 4,000 coins can be seen. The Bode Museum also suffered severe damage during World War II. The restoration during the GDR left much to be desired. After German reunification, there was only the opportunity for a thorough renovation and a complete rethinking of the exhibition concept as part of a common plan for the entire Museum Island. The Bode Museum reopened in October 2006, with great success among experts and the general public.

History

Frederick William, heir to the throne of the German imperial emperor, later III. The German emperor Frederick, like his ancestors, was preoccupied with the idea of ​​building an additional museum in Berlin to enhance the light of the imperial capital and to perpetuate his own memory. The idea for the museum was born in 1871 in the vicinity of Frigyes Vilmos, the then heir to the throne. Wilhelm von Bode (who only later received a nobility in 1914) made concrete proposals for the creation of a collection of sculptures and paintings based on the art collection of the former Elector of Brandenburg. Ernst von Ihne, a court architect, worked out the plans for the building and directed the construction between 1897 and 1904. The museum was ruled on October 18, 1904, in the meantime, as early as 1888, and was ruled for only 99 days by III. It was opened on Frederick's birthday. The museum’s building and collections suffered severe damage during World War II, but restoration did not become impossible. After 1945, it was renamed the Museum am Kupfergraben, and in 1956 it got its current name from its founder and first director. Some of the surviving valuables of the other even more ruined buildings on Museum Island have been housed here, including material from the Egyptian Museum with its collection of papyrus from the almost completely destroyed Neues Museum, the Museum of Prehistory, a painting gallery, a selection of sculptures and the famous medal collection. The operation of the museum was gradually restored. The first collections opened in the 1950s and 1960s. The renovation of the interiors was completed in 1987, the 750th anniversary of the city of Berlin. After German reunification, a number of problems were identified with the previous renovation, so it was decided in the late 1990s that the 100-year-old building would undergo another professional renovation. In August 2000, the museum was closed. Since its opening on 19 October 2006, the museum's collections, according to the organizational units: the Sculpture Collection and the Museum of Byzantine Art, the Numismatic Collection and the Gemäldegalerie - Paintings of Old Masters, are back in full light. According to the modern museum concept, fewer works of art can be seen in each room than before, and their placement is

INSERT INTO `wiki_article`(`id`, `article_id`, `title`, `article`, `img_url`) VALUES ('NULL()','Bode_Múzeum','Bode Museum','According to the modern museum concept, fewer works of art can be seen in each room than before, and their placement is','https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Bode_Museum.jpg')