Budapesti Közlekedési Zrt.

Article

January 27, 2022

Budapesti Közlekedési Zártkörűen Működő Részvénytársaság (the official abbreviation is BKV Zrt., In the common language simply BKV, as an abbreviation of the original “Budapest Transport Company”) is a company operating public transport in Budapest, which is 100% owned by the Budapest Municipality. On January 1, 1968, the line network, which had been unified by then, was formed by merging the independent transport companies (Fővárosi Tramosvasút, Fővárosi Autóbuszüzem, Budapest Local Interest Railway, Fővárosi Lajózási Vállalat) under the name of Budapesti Közlekedési Vállalat.

History

Development of urban transport

The first land passenger transport company in Pest is named after János Kratochwill: on July 1, 1832, he launched his first omnibus service, modeled on Paris. The Pest omnibus traveled between the Danube bank and the City Park on a specified route and at specified times. These vehicles were able to accommodate 12-24 people. In the following years, many companies launched omnibus services in both Pest and Buda. About three decades later, on July 30, 1866, Count Sándor Károlyi put into operation the first horse railway line (Újpest horse railway) between today's Kálvin tér and the Újpest railway bridge. Its enterprise, the Pest Road Railway Company, later launched several lines. On May 18, 1868, the first horse-drawn railway line was put into operation on the Buda side, operated by the Buda Road Railway Company. After the construction of the Margaret Bridge (1876), the two companies differed in the ownership of the Margaret Bridge line, which resulted in the acquisition of the Buda company by the more capitalist Pest company, and in 1878 the Budapest Road Railway Company, BKVT, was established. A few years later, the first steam-powered urban vehicles appeared: the Buda Hill Railway was built in 1870, and on June 24, 1874, the cog railway was handed over. In 1886, Mór Balázs prepared a plan entitled “Budapest Steam Locomotive Railway Railway Network (Steam Tramway) Network”, in which he initiated the establishment of a multi-line system (this plan already includes the construction of a tram line). As urban professionals could not agree on the idea of ​​a “one network”, the idea could not be implemented. To silence the skeptics, Mór Balázs came up with the idea of ​​a test railway: on November 28, 1887, the first experimental tram line was put into operation between the Western Railway Station and Király Street. The experiment proved successful: on July 30, 1889, the first permanent tram line was inaugurated between Egyetem tér and Közztemető út (Orczy tér), and on September 10, the road between the Academy and the Arena (today: György Dózsa) was launched. tram transport. These lines were operated by the newly established Budapest Electric City Railway Company, BVVV. Seeing the success of the new company, BKVT also transformed its horse-drawn railway lines into tram lines. Three local railway lines were built in 1887–88 (Dunaharaszti, Cinkota and Szentendre), as the BKVT recognized that it could make a profit by connecting the settlements around Budapest to its network. These trains were still towed by a steam locomotive. In the spring of 1894, the BVVV, led by Mór Balázs, and the BKVT jointly proposed the construction of an underground railway under Andrássy út, which was completed in just 22 months, so on May 2, 1896, at the opening of the Millennium Exhibition, it was on schedule. For a long time, the underground bore the name of the ruler: Ferenc József was the official name of the Underground Electric Railway. At the turn of the century, a new vehicle appeared in the public transport no

INSERT INTO `wiki_article`(`id`, `article_id`, `title`, `article`, `img_url`) VALUES ('NULL()','Budapesti_Közlekedési_Zrt.','Budapesti Közlekedési Zrt.','At the turn of the century, a new vehicle appeared in the public transport no','https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Bkv.png')