University of Technology and Economics of Budapest
November 27, 2021
The Budapest University of Technology and Economics (abbreviated: BME or Technical University) is one of the most prestigious technical universities in Central Europe and Hungary, and was the first technical university in the world ). With eight faculties and more than 24,000 students, it is one of the largest universities in Hungary.
The buildings of the university Budapest XI. are located in Lágymányos. Most of them are in a single block, in the triangle closed by the Technical University quay - Budafoki út - Irinyi József utca, but there are already two educational buildings next to the Infopark, I and Q.
The largest, central building of the university, the “K”, was built in 1909 according to the plans of Alajos Hauszmann.
The history of technical education in Hungary, as well as the history of the Technical University, dates back to the 18th century. The first direct predecessor institution of the Technical University was the engineering training institute, founded in 1782 in the bosom of the Faculty of Arts of the University of Buda, which became known as the Institutum Geometricum. Another step towards independent engineering training was the Ratio Educationis published in 1777 by Queen Maria Theresa of Hungary. This law placed much greater emphasis on the teaching of realities, especially in the field of higher education. The establishment of a future engineering training institute was justified by the growing demand for professionals with in-depth engineering knowledge.
The Institutum Geometricum was formally established on August 30, 1782, and on this day II. King Joseph of Hungary issued the founding decree. The institute was attached by the ruler to the faculty of humanities of the university, thus elevating engineering training to a university level. The Institutum Geometricum was the second civil engineering training institute in Europe (the first was the Mining and Metallurgical Engineering Academy in Banská Štiavnica from 1770) to teach engineering in a university organization 12 years earlier than the French École polytechnique, which was promoted to college in 1794. -in. In addition to the justification for the establishment, the decree contains an important decision that for the first time in Hungary stated that only a person who has taken a public examination at the university and obtained a certificate in the theory and practice of required mathematical studies can apply for a public engineering position.
The main subject taught at the Institute was applied mathematics itself, in the framework of which the knowledge of surveying and hydraulic engineering was taught, supplemented by field exercises to be held in the vicinity of Buda and Pest. The subjects were mechanics and agricultural studies, the study of which was compulsory, but only incidentally, in a smaller number of hours. The studies had to be concluded with a separate examination consisting of a separate theoretical and a separate practical part. At the beginning of the 19th century, industrial development also flourished in Hungary. The development of various industries, trade and transport has created a need for specialists that the Institutum, which trains only surveying and hydraulic engineers, could not satisfy. However, the focus of the efforts was no longer on the reform of the Institutum Geometricum, but on the plan to set up an independent Hungarian technical university.
King Ferdinand V signed the decree establishing the Ipartanoda, which opened its doors on November 1, 1846. In the same year, the institute adopted the name József Ipartanoda in honor of palatine József. The study period at the institute was three years. After the first year of preparation, the k�