Ikarus is one of the most successful and truly world-famous brands in Hungarian industry at the same time. The prehistory of the state bus factory dates back to 1895, but its history as Ikarus began only after World War II. As a state-owned company, Ikarus played a key role not only in the markets of the Eastern Bloc states in the 1970s and 1980s, but also in other countries in the world market.
Since the dissolution of the state-owned company, Ikarus buses have only been produced in small numbers in Hungary.
Since 2017, several trademark applications have been filed under the name Ikarus. On September 11 and 28, 2017, Rábacsécsényi CSM Holding Kft. (Land, air or water transport; bus; trolleybus, then military transport vehicles; bodywork production), and tour organization), and on November 13, Műszertechnika Holding Zrt. Back in 2018, Gábor Széles filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Ikarus Autóbusz Gyártó Egyedi Kft.
Complete buses called Ikarus were only manufactured by a state-owned company founded after World War II.
One of the predecessors of the state-owned company was the company Uhri (Uhry), which was founded by Imre Uhry in 1895 in Budapest under the name of Imre Uhry's Blacksmith and Car Factory. It started out as a small, family business. The main profile of the plant at that time was spent repairing carts and making horseshoes. However, Uhry was constantly reversing the proceeds to grow the business so he could soon start manufacturing his own carts and trailers. The next decade was one of continuous expansion of the business, with frequent relocations as the plant had to relocate over and over again. At the factory purchased in 1913, the service of the war industry became a priority, as it was already possible to repair trucks and manufacture their superstructures. By the time the war finally ended in 1918, Uhry’s business had risen to be among the most significant in the country. This was further exacerbated by the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy and the fact that Uhry's plant remained within the new boundaries, as opposed to many Hungarian companies.
As a result, another expansion of the plant became necessary in the early 1920s. At that time, the company also changed its name to Imre Uhry Car Body and Trailer Factory, indicating a change of profile. Until the early 1930s, the factory produced various and in many cases custom superstructures for chassis from foreign manufacturers such as Ford, Mercedes-Benz, Fiat, Büssing or even the Austrian Gräf & Stift. The vehicles made in this way could no longer be just trucks, but also buses and cars. Thus, the growth did not slow down in the twenties, in 1929 the factory's 1000th truck was completed. Although the factory was not engaged in the export of the products at that time, from time to time it appeared on the international stage with one of its models. Of these, a Gräf & Stift chassis bus also took part in the 1934 car beauty contest in France called “Concours d’Élégance”.
At that time, the number one customers of the factory were Hungarian state-owned companies, the three most important of which were MÁV, MAVART and BSzKRt. They were in order until 1930