Kossuth Lajos street (Miskolc)
Kossuth Lajos utca is one of the oldest streets in Miskolc, it still retains its cozy appearance and trail. It used to be known as Német and Czikó streets, first named after the German craftsmen who settled here, and later after the Czikó family living here. It got its current name at the end of the 19th century, after the death of Lajos Kossuth. It starts north of Széchenyi Street and ends on the line of Palóczy Street / Deák Square. At the southern end of the street, the millennial monument of the sculptor Éva Varga was erected in 1996 on the occasion of the 1100th anniversary of the conquest.
When the street was opened, only the northern section beyond Pecén was built in, the part facing Piac Street (today Széchenyi) was built only later. From the beginning of the street until the end of the 18th century, it was the main road running through the city in a northerly direction. Those arriving from Mindszent reached Szinva and Piac (Derékpiac) streets via Papszer and Alsó-Papszer or Püspök (today Rákóczi) streets, then continued their journey to today's Palóczy street via Czikó street, the bridge over the Pece stream. and from thence they passed on in the direction of St. Peter. The constructions on Kossuth Street, especially on the east side, were affected by the flow of the stream, because at the ends of the plots facing it, structures had to be erected to protect the houses from the frequent floods of Pece.
Typical houses on the street include the Pannonia Hotel, which opens the street, and the Downtown Reformed Church, which is referred to in the common language of Miskolc as one of the “Rooster Churches”. House, the Pompéry House, the Hesz – Orczy House and the Czinczifa – Főzy House.
The area around Kossuth Street was settled in the time of King Matthias, around 1470-1490, mainly by German craftsmen and craftsmen (but there were also nobles among them). Street serf plots are shorter than other medieval rope fundus. His first known name was Német utca. At that time, the streets were not named by the city leadership, but by the people, and apparently gave it a name that was characteristic of it in some way. Initially, the northern section beyond Pecén was built in, and although the area facing Piac Street may have been quite spacious at that time, the entrance from there was essentially no. The northern part of the street could have been part of the New Town at that time, but it could also be that the New Town started only at today's Palóczy Street. It was characteristic of the constructions on the eastern side of the street that economic outbuildings were built on the ends of the plots overlooking the Pecce, which - probably with little success - were thought to be suitable for preventing flooding of the stream. There are interesting but historical reasons why the Book of 1702 classifies the entire street into a single rope, No. 19, among the plots (it was already opened to Market Street at this time). The name of the street soon became Czikó, which he wore for the longest time. It was named after János Czikóházi or Czikó, whose house was on the street. Czikó arrived in Miskolc in 1554 and fled here from the Turks besieging the Fülek. According to the urbarium of 1563, he already owned a noble house on the street. His house was granted royal relief from public charges in 1592. There is also a perirat mention of Czikó from 1609, according to which he became involved in a conflict with Demeter of Zabari (Zabary, Szabari) because his servant grazing in the wrong place was captured by Czikó. By the way, Zabari also became a street name, from 1580 to 1702, today's Déryné Street was named after the family. The survival of some surnames in street names was not uncommon at the time, and wealth, social status, or the more important position and recognition of leadership in the city sometimes manifested itself in this way. In 1886, Lajos Kossuth won an honorary citizenship, and in 1898 a statue