University of Miskolc Library, Archives, Museum

Article

July 5, 2022

The University of Miskolc Library, Archives, and Museum (formerly the Central Library) is located in the central location of the University City. It was built between 1966 and 1969 according to the plans of Lajos Tolnay. The library consists of a two-story, flat building with huge glass surfaces and a storage block connected to it by a neck. On the ground floor of the "main building" there are office and business premises, the council room, the Selmeci Heritage Library and a bookstore, while the first floor is almost entirely occupied by the 2,700 m² reading room. The building contains several important works of fine art: on the ground floor Jenő Barcsay's marble mosaic The Conversants, in the reading room Endre Domanovszky's tapestry Disputa, and at the entrance to the Museum Library are busts of old professors from Selmec. Next to the library building, on the east side, there is a statue of Tibor Vilt entitled Ironworker, and on the west side, the OMBKE memorial column shaped like a sundial by László Kanizsai. The library practically started its operation with the founding of the Heavy Industries Technical University: on the one hand, the new departments necessarily started their book acquisitions immediately, and on the other hand, the lecturers and departments coming from Sopron brought the most necessary books with them. At first, the management of the library affairs was managed by a teaching assistant, but soon a qualified librarian, Miklós Várhegyi, and then Aladár Uhlmann took over the task. In the early days, as the university did not yet have buildings, the library was located in one of the classrooms of György Fráter High School. The library found itself in better conditions in 1959, when it moved to the second floor of the A/1 building. The Central Library building was built in 1969 and opened to readers on August 21, who were greeted by a huge and spectacular reading room, with about 15,000 books and 400 periodicals placed on free shelves. The library has changed a lot in the past decades, which was induced on the one hand by the humanities faculties that appeared at the university, and on the other hand by the emergence and increasingly strong presence of library IT. In connection with the creation of the non-technical faculties (Faculty of Political Science and Law, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Health, Béla Bartók Institute of Music), the scope of the library expanded, and the acquisition rates changed. Another important change from the 1970s was the gradual introduction of computer technology, through which all the services of the library are supported by computer systems.

Establishment of a university in Miskolc

Act 23 of 1949 was published on August 19, 1949, which provided for the establishment of the Technical University of Heavy Industry in Miskolc. Paragraph 1 of the law reads as follows: "For the purpose of increasing the training of higher technical specialists, a Technical University of Heavy Industry (hereinafter: University) must be established in Miskolc." § 2: "The university is divided into the Faculty of Mining and Smelting Engineering and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering." The law came into being in August, and education had to start already in September. For the purpose of education, the city provided the Fráter György High School, today's Ferenc Földes High School for the university, and a hotel for the dormitory. Education began on September 18, 1949, with a joint physics class for students of all three faculties. The planning of the university buildings also began under the leadership of István Janáky, and in 1950 the construction works in the Dudujka valley, between Avas and Miskolctapolca. The progress of construction made it possible for the entire Sopron smelting engineering faculty to move to Miskolc in 1952, and then the mining engineering faculty in 1959. His successor