Selmec Monument Library (Miskolc)
July 5, 2022
The Selmec Artifacts Library contains approximately 45,000 library collections from the period between 1735 and 1918 of the Selmec Academy, the predecessor of the University of Miskolc and the University of Sopron, the Selmec Academy. The former academic library is a closed special collection enjoying historical protection, which is a significant base for both domestic and European science and technology history research at both universities. Since 1969, the Museum Library has been located on the ground floor of the library building of the University of Miskolc, in an air-conditioned room designed for the collection. As a museum, the Public Library can also be visited by the general public. The Bergschule, the mining and metallurgical educational institute, was established in Selmecbány in 1735 for the purpose of training mining and metallurgical specialists. At the same time as it was established, provisions were made for the acquisition of the necessary literature for the training, but Sámuel Mikoviny, the school's first teacher, also provided books from his own library, and they could also use the books of mining engineering in Selmec. When the Bergakademie was founded, the institution took over the books of the mining and metallurgical institute, but the book collection was also increased through new book acquisitions, bequests and income from private libraries. In 1776, the stock grew almost by leaps and bounds, when Johann Thaddäus Peithner's private library of 1,392 works was bought. The unified library of the Academy was established in 1780, at which time the library contained more than 900 works in 1800 volumes. His collection ranged mainly in the fields of mining and metallurgy and mathematics. At first, the library could only be used by the lecturers and the officials of the head chamberlain's office, the students maintained the library in their own organization. Management of the academic library used to be the responsibility of a designated professor, then an assistant professor, and the first full-time librarian, János Vető, was appointed only in 1903. The book collection of the academy and college, which went through several stages of development, developed gradually, if not at a steady pace, and in the mid-1880s it moved to its "final" location in Selmecbány, to the Fritz House in the center of Selmec, where a student reference library had already been created. Due to political changes, in the spring of 1919 the college - and of course its library - moved to Sopron. According to the educational profile, the holdings of the monument library are divided between the two successor universities, about three-quarters are located in Miskolc and one-quarter in Sopron. Mechanics, general mechanical engineering, metrology, land and mine surveying, chemistry, physics, mineralogy, geology, paleontology, mining, mining law, metallurgy, salt production, material for minting and maps. Mathematics, architecture and forestry (farming) were moved to Sopron. Common technology, chemical technology (encyclopedias, series, collections), general natural science, encyclopedias, publications of scientific institutions, book periodicals, bibliographies, etc. are shared, but mostly in Miskolc. The material of the Selmec Museum of Monuments was processed by László Zsámboki, a colleague and later director general of the university library. This article basically deals with the Selmec Monuments Library located at the University of Miskolc.