Semmelweis University (abbreviated: SE) (Latin: Universitas Budapestinensis de Semmelweis Nominata) is a Hungarian public medical higher education institution in Budapest. He is the legal successor of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Pest (now Eötvös Loránd University) and of the Budapest University of Medicine (abbreviated: BOTE), and later of the Semmelweis University of Medicine (abbreviated: SOTE). As a university, it is unique in the country; named after Ignác Semmelweis.
According to the HVG 2021 higher education ranking, Semmelweiss University is the 7th best university in Hungary.
The history of the university began in 1769, when Maria Theresa added a medical faculty to the University of Trnava. Shortly afterwards, the institution moved to Buda and then to Pest, where the number of departments and clinical beds began to increase. By 1838, the congestion had become so great that Parliament had also dealt with the situation of the medical faculty.
The teachers of the faculty tried to keep pace with the international medicine, which was starting and specializing at that time, even in the tight conditions, but after the defeat of the war of independence, several people were forced to go to prison and emigrate. After the construction that started in the 1870s, the Üllői út, which was still an outlying area at the time, became the axis of the Medical School, where the clinics, the herb garden and the board were located in two settlements.
Although women could have been admitted to the faculty as early as the late 1800s, the real change came in World War I, when most of the students and teachers enlisted. The situation was barely beginning to return to normal after the war, when spending on health care fell sharply due to the global economic crisis. Nevertheless, during this period, the medical faculty was already internationally recognized, the qualifications used today were developed, and the study period was increased to six years.
During the siege of Budapest, a significant part of the equipment was destroyed, and the damage to the buildings was enormous. The independent Budapest University of Medicine was established on February 1, 1951 from the Faculty of Medicine of the university, which at that time was named after Loránd Eötvös. In the early fifties, several hospitals were attached to the university, transforming them into clinics. In the middle of the decade, the Faculty of Dentistry and the Faculty of Pharmacy were established alongside the Faculty of General Medicine. The university took the name of its former teacher, Ignác Semmelweis, on the 200th anniversary of the founding of the former Medical School. as the construction of a theoretical building in Oradea Square. Healing and educational work was carried out on the clinics on more than 3,100 beds in the late 1990s.
The Semmelweis University of Medicine operated under this name between 1969 and 2000, with two faculties of the Haynal Imre University of Health Sciences in 2000 during the university integration: the Faculty of Medical Education (OTKI) (now the Faculty of Health Sciences) and the Faculty of Health, It was integrated with the University as Semmelweis University. The Faculty of Public Health was launched in March 2010, focusing on training in the frontiers of science and social sciences.
On September 1, 2014, the Faculty of Physical Education and Sports Science separated from the university and continues to operate as an independent institution, called the University of Physical Education.
From 1 August 2017, the András Pető College and the Conductive Pedagogical Center, which is part of it, will operate as the faculty of the Semmelweis University under the name of the András Pető Faculty (PAK).