Sopron

Article

July 5, 2022

Sopron (German: Ödenburg, Croatian: Šopron, in ancient Latin: Scarbantia, Old German: Oedenburg) is a city with more than sixty thousand inhabitants in the county of Győr-Moson-Sopron, the center of the Sopron wine region, the seat of the Sopron district. "The Most Faithful City" (Latin: Civitas Fidelissima). It is one of the oldest cities in Hungary, and due to its proximity to the border, it creates a connection between our country and our western neighbor, Austria. It is the second richest settlement in Hungary in terms of monuments, and the 9th most popular settlement in Hungary in terms of guest nights spent in commercial accommodation. In 2016, the renewal of the Várfal promenade and the Várkerulet received an ICOMOS award. The Ikva flows through the city, its source is in the Soproni Mountains and it empties into the main Hanság canal. Extending like a peninsula into Austria, Sopron has a strong German minority and is officially bilingual. A favorite destination for both Burgenlanders and Austrians from other provinces. It is located approximately 70 km southeast of Vienna, 210 km northwest of Budapest, 64 km southwest of Bratislava, 78 km east of Győr, and just 6 km southwest of Lake Fertő. The area of ​​today's Sopron has been inhabited since ancient times, but the first buildings were only built during the Roman Empire. It was an important Roman city called Scarbantia, because two important trade routes crossed here. During the migration, Scarabantia began to decline, later the Hungarians settled here, then strengthened the Roman-era walls and turned the city into a castle. It was then that the town got its current name from its Spanish owner named Suprun. In 1153, it is already mentioned as a significant city. In 1273 II. The army of the Czech King Ottokár Přemysl occupied the city and then took the children of the city's nobles as hostages. In 1277 IV. László, on the other hand, recaptured Sopron and raised it to the rank of free royal city. Around four thousand people lived here at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries. On February 25, 1441, Elizabeth of Luxembourg was sold by King III in exchange for 8,000 gold. The city, together with the surrounding settlements, was bought back by King Mányás on July 19, 1463, together with the Hungarian crown, to Frigyes. In 1529, the Ottoman army sacked the city, but did not occupy it. Hungarians from other cities fled here from the Turks, and because of this, the importance of Sopron increased greatly. During the anti-Habsburg uprisings, the city did not support the rebels, and unlike the rest of Hungary, in the second half of the 17th century, as part of the Counter-Reformation, the support of the various Protestant churches was abolished. On December 8, 1625, Archbishop Péter Péter of Esztergom crowned King III of Hungary here. Ferdinand, in the Goat Church on the main square of the city, as there was an epidemic of plague in Bratislava at that time. In 1676, a fire broke out in the city, as a result of which most of the medieval buildings burned to ashes, and then the Baroque buildings that define the city's present-day image were built in place of these buildings, and today's city center was born. The Fire Tower was also rebuilt at this time. The Kurucs led by Imre Thököly launched a campaign to capture Vienna, and Lipót I wanted to convene the parliament in a place close to Vienna. He first chose Bratislava, but the plague broke out again, which is why Sopron's town hall became the final location in 1681. In 1753, the first coal mine of today's Hungary (Brennbergbánya) was opened, southwest of Sopron. At the same time, the castle wall surrounding the city was gradually demolished, and parks were created in the place of the original moats. In 1896, the construction of Sopron's new town hall began based on the plans of architect Moritz Hinträger. The Hungarian woman of 1910