Tianjin Concession Zones
May 21, 2022
Tianjin Concession Zones in China Concession areas established in the southeastern part of Tianjin City, which operated as special administrative autonomy administered by nine countries. The concession was handed over to several foreign imperialist powers by the reigning house of China, the Qing Dynasty. The concession area was secured as part of a peace treaty that ended the boxing rebellion on September 7, 1901, in Beijing, an alliance of eight nations acting as international forces in the conflict. Based on this, in addition to the French and English concession territories of Tianjin and Shanghai, which had been handed over earlier in 1860, other nations also gained territories. Sixty percent of the area of the then-inhabited city of Tianjin, which also had a sea exit, could be divided among the states involved in the fighting. Thus, on the west bank of the Hai he (Hai he) river, the concession areas of Japan, France, England and Germany were established on the west, while on the east bank of the river, the Austro-Hungarian, Italian, Belgian and Russian concession. The part of downtown Tianjin occupied by the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy covered an area of about one hundred and fifty hectares. The concessions lasted from 1860 to 1945 and had a major impact on the later life of the city. Significant investments have been made and several of the buildings built during the concession period have survived to this day. The most important of these have become part of China's heritage protection program, and the international presence has greatly contributed to the competent authority's designation of Tianjin as a "historically and culturally significant city" in 2002, along with 103 Chinese cities.