Gajah Mada Street
August 12, 2022
Jalan Gajah Mada (formerly Molenvliet West, translation: "Molenvliet Barat") is the name of a street in Jakarta that connects Kota Tua Jakarta and Kota Baru. In the middle of the road flows the Ciliwung River. This road was built in 1648 by the community leader Phoa Beng Gan. Molenvliet West means the road on the west side of the river. Along the road there are many buildings such as the Khouw family house, the National Archives Building, the office of the Dutch East Indies Gas Company, Moenswijk, the Harmonie Building (took down in 1985 for the widening of Jalan Majapahit, the canal from Jalan Gajah Mada to Medan Merdeka Barat), the Freres building, the the four Hotel des Indes, Hotel Marine, and the main branch of the Eigen Hulp Store. Wodbury & Page also took pictures along Jl. West Molenvliet (1863).