Academy of the Intronati
The Accademia degli Intronati was born between 1525 and 1527 in the Republic of Siena as a meeting place of the aristocracy, whose first public manifestation dates back to 1531 with the representation of the comedy Gl'ingannati, anonymous, but according to various scholars to be attributed mainly to the Modenese philologist Lodovico Castelvetro, who was a member of the Academy.
After having been based for most of the eighteenth century in the Palazzo della Sapienza (today the Municipal Library of the Intronati), the Academy is now housed in Palazzo Patrizi-Piccolomini, in via di Città 75.
The name of the academy was ironically chosen to underline the desire of those writers to estrange themselves from the "noises" of the world that deafened them ("thundered"). Its "founders were" sex viri nobiles senenses "(six Sienese noblemen): Scaltrito (archbishop Francesco Bandini Piccolomini); Arsiccio (Antonio Vignali); the Importuno (Francesco Sozzi); il Sodo (Marco Antonio Piccolomini); Moscone (Giovan Francesco Franceschi); il Cirloso (Alessandro Marzi). ”In general, the first theatrical production of Intronati is characterized by refined and light games, animated by a languid eroticism, whose noble and elegant recipient is the female audience.
One of the most active scholars in the Academy's first phase of activity was Alessandro Piccolomini (1508-1578), who frequented various circles (including the University of Padua); later he stayed in Rome embarking on an ecclesiastical career. Other members, such as Lelio Sozzini and his nephew Fausto Sozzini, embraced heretical ideas and were forced to take the path of exile. Maria Luisa Cicci (who took the nickname the Unknown) was also part of it. With the War of Siena against the coalition formed by the Spanish Empire, the academy was suspended, but returned to activity in 1603, under the Medici regime, defending the continuity of the Sienese aristocratic and town tradition. The brothers Girolamo and Scipione Bargagli worked for this purpose, the first of whom wrote the comedy La Pellegrina, characterized by strong pathetic and sentimental aspects, and represented posthumously in Florence in 1589 on the occasion of the marriage between Ferdinando de 'Medici and Christina of Lorraine. . At that time the studies were mainly aimed at theatrical activity and satirical writings.
Merging with the Accademia dei Filomati, it took possession of the Teatro dei Rinnovati inside the Palazzo Pubblico; the structure was then donated to the Municipality in 1935.
With the last statute dating back to 1945, the year in which it resumed the name of the Royal Academy of the Intronati, the Academy has become a civic association for the promotion of the study of the history and arts of the Sienese territory. Its activity is expressed in the organization of study conventions and conferences, including international ones. Furthermore, the Academy publishes the Sienese Bulletin of homeland history, a prestigious cultural periodical published without interruptions since 1894.
The hall of the building where the Association is found has the façade of the Piccolomini Chapel with frescoes by Bernard van Rantwyck.
Wikisource contains a page dedicated to Accademia degli Intronati
Wikimedia Commons contains images or other files about Accademia degli Intronati
The comedy Gl'Ingannati Full text
Institutional website, on accademiaintronati.it.