November 28, 2021
De Agostini S.p.A. is the holding company of the De Agostini group. Born as a publishing house becoming one of the best known and most important in Italy, operating in about thirty countries in the world in thirteen different languages, its publications range in various fields, but in particular it is known for its geographical works. Today it is active all over the world in 4 sectors: publishing, media, games and services, finance. De Agostini S.p.A. coordinates the activities of the parent companies of the strategic operating segments - De Agostini Editore, DeA Communications, IGT and DeA Capital - and makes financial investments, the main one being the minority stake in Assicurazioni Generali.
The geographer Giovanni De Agostini, brother of the Salesian explorer Alberto Maria, founded the De Agostini Geographical Institute in Rome in June 1901 and published a school atlas, that same year the first De Agostini shop was inaugurated near the Trevi fountain. In 1904 he started the publication of the Atlante de Agostini Calendar, a small volume with geographic information combined with the annual calendar, which met with great success. In 1906 the 1: 250,000 scale map of Italy was published for the Italian Touring Club, the largest ever made up to then. In 1908 the headquarters of the Institute, located in Rome in via Novara, was moved to viale Roma in Novara, where De Agostini, who was a native of nearby Pollone, had good relations with local industrialists. It was also able to benefit from the best connections with Germany (the Simplon tunnel was inaugurated in 1906), from which the necessary equipment for production arrived.In December 1919 the company was taken over by Marco Adolfo Boroli and Cesare Angelo Rossi. Meanwhile, in March 1919, the geographer and cartographer Luigi Visintin had entered the Institute, who replaced Giovanni De Agostini in the direction and, from 1920 to 1958, was the scientific director, author of numerous works including, with Mario Baratta, of the first Italian world atlas, the Great Geographic Atlas, the first edition of which dates back to 1922. In 1946 the Institute was entirely taken over by the Boroli family. In the first half of the sixties the headquarters of the offices and graphic workshops were moved to Veveri in a building designed by Ettore Bolletino and Arialdo Daverio; later, in the second half of the seventies, a second site with offices and automated warehouse was built in Vignale.
In 1997 the partners entrusted the management of the company to Marco Drago, who in the previous decade had contributed strongly to the development of the group. In December 2012 Marilena Ferrari bought the Works of Value section. In 1997 De Agostini, with other investors, took part in the privatization of Seat Pagine Gialle; the operation, concluded in 2000, allowed the group to start a strategic collaboration with Seat Pagine Gialle by developing initiatives such as the Virgilio portal, from which it would emerge a few years later with a large capital gain. In 2007 the De Agostini Foundation was established, with which the group undertook to provide support to categories in situations of hardship such as the disabled, etc. In 2020 De Agostini Editore was one of the best known and most important Italian publishing houses, operating in about 30 countries around the world in 13 different languages. His publications range in various fields, but in particular the geographic theme is very much felt, with the geographic institute as the precursor of the subsequent editorial works of the group. The activities of the companies headed by De Agostini are divided into the sectors of publishing, mass media, games and services (De Agostini held, among others, 52.1% of the shares in Lottomatica) and financial investments.
De Agostini Group
Through a subsequent strategy of diversification and internationalization, the De Agostini Group has progressively expanded its activities