Black Maria (film studio)

Article

August 8, 2022

Black Maria (pronounced "Mariah" in English mə-RY-ə) was Thomas Edison's first film studio in West Orange, New Jersey. It was the world's first movie studio.

History

Founded in 1893 as the world's first film production studio, the Black Maria, also known as the Cinematographic Theater, was built at Edison's in West Orange, New Jersey, for the purpose of producing films for the kinetoscope. It was completed in a corner of the research facility site. Construction of the building, a studio space covered in tar-soaked paper with a retractable roof, began in December 1892 and cost $637.67 ($17,782 in 2020) to complete the following year. ) was applied. In early May 1893, at the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences (the predecessor of the Brooklyn Museum of Art), Edison used a kinetoscope to perform the world's first reproduction of kinetographed film in the Black Maria. Performed publicly. The film shown was that of three men playing blacksmiths. The first films made on Black Maria were copyrighted by the Library of Congress in August 1893 by W. K. Dixon. Beginning in January 1894, a series of short films, such as The Edison Kinetoscopic Record of a Sneeze (aka Fred Ott's Sneeze), were produced by Dixon for the kinetoscope at Edison's Black Maria, and were assisted by his colleague Fred Ott's Sneeze. Ott helped with this. This "Fred Ott Sneeze" was produced for publicity purposes and was published in a series of stills and articles in Harper's Weekly magazine. The short, which featured Ott comically sneezing into the camera, was the first film to be copyrighted. The earliest films produced at Black Maria include magic, theatre, vaudeville (dancers and men of strength), Buffalo Bill's "Wild West Show" productions, various boxing and cockfighting, A woman with exposed skin was captured. However, many of Edison's early films released after 1895 were non-fiction "actuality" films filmed in real locations, depicting parts of everyday life. For example, they filmed street scenes, police and firefighters in action, and trains passing by. From Saturday, April 14, 1894, Edison's kinetoscope entered commercial operation. The Holland Brothers opened the first Kinetoscope Parlor at 1155 Broadway in New York City, becoming the first commercial film show in what is today an arcade. A customer paid his ¢25 (equivalent to $8 in 2021) to enter and watch the film on two rows of five kinetoscopes. With the first audience during the screening of the films named "Barber Shop", "Blacksmiths", "Cock Fight", "Wrestling" and "Trapeze" Nearly 500 people became. Edison's film studio was used to provide cinematic production for this sensational new form of entertainment. Later, San Francisco