Nago City (Nagoshi, Northern Okinawa Dialect: Nagu) is the seventh largest city in Okinawa Prefecture, located in the northern part of the main island of Okinawa.
It was the venue for the G8 Summit (Kyushu-Okinawa Summit) held in 2000.
The central city faces Nago Bay, and the mountains of the Paleozoic formation rise behind it. It is a central city in the northern part of the main island of Okinawa, and there are many local agencies of the national and prefectural governments, and commerce is active. In agriculture, in addition to flowers such as orchids and chrysanthemums, fruit trees and vegetables are cultivated. In fishing, bonito is often landed, and Thai and prawns are also cultivated.
The Okinawa Expressway leads, the coast is a scenic spot, and there is also a beach. The ruins of Nago Castle in the eastern part of the city are famous for Kanhi-zakura, and there is a 300-year-old Hinpun Gajumaru nearby.
Since 1978, the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters Spring Camp has been held at Nago Municipal Stadium.
Located in the northern part of the main island of Okinawa, with a total area of 210.33 km2, it occupies about 9.2% of the total area of Okinawa prefecture (2275.94 km2). It has the largest area in the municipality to which it belongs. Municipalities on the main island of Okinawa have coastlines on both the west coast side and the east coast side, except for Kunigami village at the northern end and Itoman city at the southern end. US military bases occupy about 10% of the area of Nago City.
Yaedake (453 m)
Katsuudake (452 m)
Awadake (432 m)
Mt. Tanodake (383 m)
Nagodake (345 m)
Kushidake (335 m)
Hitotsudake (295 m)
Sorahashiyama (284 m)
Ishidake (236 m)
US military base in Nago City
About 10% of the area of Nago City is a US military base.
U.S. military base Kushi training ground that has already been returned: 8.5 ha U.S. military base currently under construction Henoko new base construction: 205 ha (reclaimed area: 160 ha)
Before the Edo period
Kanbun 12/13 / Enpo 1st year (1673) --The eastern part of Nago Magiri is separated as Kushi Magiri.
Genroku 8 (1695) --The "Hinpun Banyan" (a giant banyan tree) that grows near Higashie Minato (later Nago fishing port) was already famous around this time.
March 20, 1874 (Meiji 7) --Opening of Nago Post Office (currently Nago Post Office).
1902 (Meiji 35) One day in a certain month --The opening of the Kunigami-gun Magirijima Union Agricultural School (currently the predecessor of Okinawa Prefectural Northern Agriculture and Forestry High School).
April 1, 1908-Kunigami-gun enforces the island town and village system, and the three magiris of Nago, Haneji, and Kushi become Nago Village, Haneji Village, and Kushi Village.
1920 (Taisho 9) One day in a certain month --- Established Kunigami-gun Village Association Practical High School for Girls (currently the predecessor of Okinawa Prefectural Nago High School).
April 1, 1923 (Taisho 12) --The northern part of Kushi Village is separated as Higashi Village.
February 1, 1924 (Taisho 13) --Nago Village enforces the town system, and Nago Town is established.
March 1931-The Arashiyama incident occurs at Arashiyama, Haneji Village.
November 10, 1938-Okinawa Prefectural Kunigami Airakuen (currently the predecessor of the National Sanatorium Okinawa Airakuen) opens.
February 1946 (Showa 21) --- The US military opens a medical facility for the injured and sick (currently the predecessor of Okinawa Prefectural Northern Hospital) for the general public.
April 1, 1952-The medical facility for the injured and sick (currently the predecessor of Okinawa Prefectural Northern Hospital) established by the US military has been renamed to "Ryukyu Government Nago Hospital".
May 20-The northwestern region (Yabu, Awa, Yamanoha, Umusa) is separated from Nago Town as Yabu Village. From Haneji Village to Yagaji Island area (Yaga, Gabu, Yohena, Sumuide) becomes Yagaji Village