Gifu Prefecture (Gifu Prefecture) is a prefecture located in the central region of Japan. The prefectural office is located in Gifu City.
Located in the center of Japan's center of population, its topography is rich in variety. It is an inland prefecture.
There are various theories about the name "Gifu", and one theory is that it is named after Oda Nobunaga.
According to the idea of Takugen Sawahiko, a priest of Seishuji Temple, "Qishan" (the mountain where the phoenix flew down when Yin changed to the Zhou dynasty, and Zhou Wen King stood up on this mountain and built the foundation of eight. Select "Gifu" which has both "Gi" of "Ta) and" Fu "of" Qufu "(the birthplace of Confucianism and the head office of Lu Kingdom where the ancestor of learning, Confucius was born). It is said that it was named with the meaning of that in the place of learning.
According to "Shincho Kouki" (Gyuichi Ota), when Nobunaga Oda captured Mino Province, Iguchi, the castle of Mt. Inaba, was changed to Gifu.
"Azuchi Founding Record" (Nagoya City Hoza Bunko Collection, Former Hoza Bunko Collection / Owari Tokugawa Family Collection), "Nobunaga Shisho" (also known as Nobunaga Shisho, National Kobun) recorded by the Owari Domain in the middle of the Edo period It is also named Nobunaga in the collection of the Shokan), and it is said that Nobunaga named Gifu for the first time by quoting the description of "Azuchi Founding Record" by Kanji Nagase's "Gifu Shisho" (1885).
Even if you check the historical materials of the same period, "Siroku Yamashina" was written on November 10, 2011, "To Tokugawa Shogunate, Sanshu, Hayato Sawaji, to Gifu, Nojiya Shimomukai." .. Also, in the annual report of the Society of Jesus in Japan by Luis Frois, in May 2012, "We should write in the town of Gifu and have a population of about 10,000." It can be seen that the place name Gifu cannot be confirmed before Nobunaga's name.
In addition, Gifu's first appearance in "Hosokawa Ryokeki" and "Tamonin Diary" was in Eiroku 11 years.
On the other hand, the place name of Iguchi is Noshu Iguchi in the letter of Rokkaku Yoshikata in July of Eiroku 3rd year. In the letter of Nobunaga Oda, "Old Plans of the Past", (7th year of Eikyu), the Nobunaga cooperation last month, and the Iguchi neighborhood was taken out. From this, it cannot be confirmed that it was Gifu before Nobunaga changed Iguchi to Gifu in 1568 (Eiroku 11) in Nobunaga's official record.
There is also an argument that Gifu was already used before Nobunaga was named. In "Gifu City Guide" (edited by Gifu City Education Association, 1915), "In one theory, it is written as ancient, Gifu, Giyo, Qishan, Gishita, and if it looks like Gifu in the old record from the time of Meio Eimasa, Not named by Nobunaga. "
In "Mino Kuni no Kokuki" (written by Masayasu Kanei? The author is unknown), Inabayama, where Inabayama Castle was located, is called Gifu, and Sato is called Gifu. It is claimed that Gifu used the ancient characters, and Nobunaga used the characters of Gifu and Fu.
However, Chusetsu and Imaizumi are modern place names (place names in the Edo period), and there is no document that names Gifu as Gifu.
In addition, Nissho Roku, Toyo Eicho's vocabulary; Kobayashi no Kofue, Meiō 8th year Meng Kasuga and Toki Shigeyori image; Gifu Kanehide to praise Toyo Eicho. In Banrishukuku's inexhaustible plum blossoms, the phrase "Kiyo" appears frequently, and there are "Kishita Furuyu" and "Kiso Yuu Gifuyo". In Takeo Ichiki, it is located in the sun (north) of the Kiso River (Kiso River) and refers to the Unuma / Gifu area, but in the same book, it is the Kiso River, and it is strange that it is not Kiso Yang or Kiso River. However, there is also a question that it is strange that the Kiso River does not have the expression "Kisoyo".
* The biggest problem with the theory derived from the Kiso River (Kiso River) is the "tail" in the Taiseikansho in the second year of Jōwa.