Tokyo Women's Higher Normal School

Article

May 21, 2022

Tokyo Women's Higher Normal School (Tokyo Women's Higher Normal School) was established in March 1890 (Meiji 23) in Kanda-ku, Tokyo (currently Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo). It is a school. The abbreviation is "Tokyo Women's Higher" or (named after the location) "Ochanomizu" (Ochanomizu). This item also deals with its predecessor, Tokyo Women's Normal School (and Tokyo Normal School Women's Club).

Overview

It was established in 1890 as Japan's first female secondary teacher training institution, "Women's Higher Normal School," and was renamed Tokyo Women's Higher Normal School in 1908. Its predecessor was the first female teacher training institution in Japan, "Tokyo Women's Normal School," which was later integrated into the Tokyo Normal School to become its "Women's Club," and the Tokyo Normal School was reorganized into a secondary teacher training institution, the Higher Normal School. After that, it was separated and became independent as a girls' high school. Three departments of liberal arts, science, and housework were established (as of 1940), and at the time of abolition, they were one of the three (public) high school girls along with Nara and Hiroshima. It is the constituent body of the new Ochanomizu University, which was established by the postwar school reform. The alumni association "Oinkai" is a common alumni association with Ochanomizu University.

History

Tokyo Women's Normal School

In November 1873 (Meiji 6), a foreigner, David Murray, hired by the Ministry of Education, said in a report that Japan would also train women as "best teachers for children's education" following Western countries. In January 1874 (Meiji 7), the following year, in line with this, Fujimaro Tanaka, who was a proclaimer of the Ministry of Education, told the Minister of Government, Sanjo Sanetomi, "The Tokyo Prefectural Niichikano Women's Normal School was established. I submitted a "visit". This was approved, and on March 13. The Tokyo Women's Normal School, a public) women's normal school, was established (opened in November). At the time of its establishment, a considerable number of students were transferred to the Women's Normal School from Tokyo Girls' School, Japan's first secondary education institution for girls, which was established and opened in 1872 (Meiji 5). It is known that at that time, it was generally regarded as a destination for women who were seeking higher education and learning. The period of study at that time was 5 years, and the course was divided into 10 levels. Lectures were given on academics, educational theory, bookkeeping, natural history, handicrafts, painting, singing, gymnastics, teaching methods, and hands-on lessons. Following the preceding Tokyo and Tokyo Women's Higher Schools, six schools, Aichi, Hiroshima, Niigata, Osaka, Nagasaki, and Miyagi, were established in response to the university district system. Due to difficulties, it was abolished from 1877 (Meiji 10) to 1878 (Meiji 11) (instead, the establishment of prefectural normal schools and women's normal schools was encouraged), so the Tokyo Women's Normal School became the Tokyo Normal School (later). It will occupy one of the two public normal schools along with Tokyo Higher Normal School and the predecessor of Tsukuba University. In February 1877 (Meiji 10), an attached kindergarten (predecessor of Ochanomizu University Kindergarten) was established, and in June 1878 (Meiji 11), a kindergarten nursery school (nanny) practice department was established. Education and the training of childcare workers who will be responsible for them will be started. Furthermore, in February 1877, the attached elementary school (predecessor of Ochanomizu University Elementary School), and in July 1882 (Meiji 15), the attached high school for girls.