Shumiji Temple


August 8, 2022

Sagamiji (or Sagamidera) is a temple of the Koyasan Shingon sect located in Kasai City, Hyogo Prefecture. The mountain name is Senshozan. The principal object of worship is the eleven-faced Kanzeon Bodhisattva. It is said to have been opened by Gyoki, a temple ordered by Emperor Shomu. The 29th Fudasho of the New Saigoku 33 Temples.


According to temple legend, in 745, Gyoki, who received an oracle from Sakemi Myojin, made a presentation to Emperor Shomu, and founded the temple under the name Senshuzan Sakemi-ji. It was an imperial temple, and became a separate temple for the adjacent Sakemi Myo-jinja Shrine (now Sumiyoshi-jinja Shrine). This temple has been visited by imperial envoys every year since the Heian period, but the entire mountain was destroyed by fire twice. In 1159, when the whole mountain was destroyed by fire during the Heiji War, it was rebuilt by imperial decree with a red seal from Emperor Nijo. During the Tensho era (1573-1592), the entire mountain was destroyed by fire again. After that, in the Edo period, Terumasa Ikeda, who became the lord of Himeji Castle, designated it as the guardian temple of Himeji Castle and supported it. It was revived by Takae Jissoin on the order of the Edo Shogunate. Furthermore, Tokugawa Iemitsu, the 3rd shogun of the Edo Shogunate, established it as a red seal temple, and it prospered after successive generations of shoguns awarded it with red seals and a territory of 60 koku.


Located in the town of Hojo, next to Sumiyoshi Shrine. There is a small pond in between, connected by a stone bridge. There is a two-storied gate at the south end, and on the left and right of the approach that extends north from there are Jizo-do, Taho-to, Kannon-do, and Jogyo-do. The main hall is built at the end of the approach, the bell tower on the east side, the Bensaitendo on the west, the Miei-do on the back, and the kitchen, gomado, and jibutsu-do, surrounded by earthen walls. Main hall (Kondo, Kasai City designated tangible cultural property)-Rebuilt in 1689. Irimoya-zukuri, with moss floor, double-layered roof, tiled roof, flat entry. The eleven-faced Kannon, Wakibutsujikokuten, and Tamonten are enshrined. Mieido (Kasai City designated tangible cultural property)-Enshrines the statue of Kobo Daishi. Built in the late 17th century. Bishamondo Genzaitendo Bell tower (Hyogo Prefecture designated tangible cultural property)-Rebuilt in 1664. Colored, eclectic. The temple bell is also a designated tangible cultural property of Hyogo Prefecture. Honbo Goma-do/Jibutsu-do (Kasai City-designated tangible cultural property)-Enshrines the mortuary tablets of successive emperors and successive Tokugawa shoguns. Built in the late 18th century. Kuri study front gate Kannondo (Kasai City Designated Tangible Cultural Property) - Built in the middle of the 19th century. Tahoto (Important Cultural Property) - Rebuilt in 1662. Colored, eclectic. The upper part of the roof is thatched with cypress bark, and the lower part is thatched with tiles. Jizodo (Kasai City-designated tangible cultural property) - Built in 1754. Jogyodo (Hikisho-do, a tangible cultural property designated by Kasai City) - Also called Amida-do or Ansan-do. Banshu Sakemi Nenbutsu Dojo. Built in the early 19th century. Tower Gate (Kasai City Designated Tangible Cultural Property)-Rebuilt in 1825. Three-room single-family house, irimoya-zukuri style, tiled roof, by Kanda Saemon.

Main Buddha Statues

Eleven-faced Kannon Bodhisattva (principal image) - Tamonten and Jikokuten as side Buddhas. Kaya Ichibokuzukuri, a hidden Buddhist statue whose doors are opened once every 61 years Standing statues of Jikokuten and Tamonten - marquetry, late Heian period

Cultural property

Important Cultural Property

Tahoto Pagoda

Hyogo Prefecture Designated Tangible Cultural Property

bell tower temple bell

Kasai City Designated Tangible Cultural Property

Romon Sakami temple building group 6 buildings Main hall Miedo Jizodo Gomado/Jibutsu-do Jogyodo Kannondo


New Year's Day in January - Shoshōkai May 8th - Flower Festival June 15th - Aoba Festival July 1st - Grand Hannya August 9th - 46,000 fairs August 18th - Urabonkai August 23rd - Jizobon November Second Dog Day - Benten Festival

Fudasho before and after

New Saigoku Thirty-three Temples Kyakuban Jodoji - 29 Sake