Seikado Bunko


July 5, 2022

Seikado Bunko is a special library and museum located at 2-23-1, Okamoto, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo. Contains Japanese and Oriental classics and antiques. The business entity is Seikado, a public interest incorporated foundation. The foundation was established based on the garden owned by the second general manager of the Mitsubishi zaibatsu, Yanosuke Iwasaki, and the fourth general manager, Koyata Iwasaki, and a collection of classic books and antique art of relics. "Seikado" is the name of Yanosuke. It houses a large number of valuable classical books and antique works of art, and is a private special library that discloses domestic and foreign classic books to researchers. At the same time, the collection is open to the public through the Seikado Bunko Museum. ing.


The Seikado Bunko originates from the Seikado Bunko, which was founded by Yanosuke Iwasaki in his own residence in Kanda Surugadai (Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo) in 1892 (Meiji 25). The name of Seikado is "Shikei" Daiya, and the name of Yanosuke taken from the phrase "Hento Seika" (meaning that the offerings to the spirits of the ancestors are beautifully arranged) in the drunken edition. Derived from the study number). Before entering the business world, Yanosuke followed his brother, Yataro Iwasaki, the founder of Mitsubishi, and he had studied Chinese studies. To support the study of his teacher, Yasutsugu Shigeno (Narusai), he began collecting classic books and enthusiastically collected old Japanese and Chinese books and works of art. In 1907, he purchased over 40,000 old collections of Xinyuan Lu's "Song Tower", a calligrapher of the Qing dynasty, and brought a valuable collection to the library, including many of Song's original editions. After the death of Koyata Iwasaki in 1908, Koyata Iwasaki inherited the wishes of his father and expanded the library, and in 1911 moved to the Takanawa Bettei (Minato-ku, Tokyo, now Kaitokaku) of the Iwasaki family. Furthermore, in 1924, the Seikado Bunko was built by Kotaro Sakurai in the area adjacent to the tomb of Yanosuke in Okamoto, Setagaya-ku, and was widely opened to researchers. In 1940, Koyata founded the Seikado Foundation, donated all the books and library facilities to the foundation, and separated it from the Iwasaki family's family products. After the Pacific War, it suffered financial difficulties, but in 1953, along with the Toyo Bunko (founder was a child of Yataro Iwasaki and Hisaya Iwasaki, the third general manager of Mitsubishi), a branch library of the National Diet Library. As a result, we were able to continue publishing the materials. This is because the foundation that owns the materials and facilities of the library has signed a contract with the National Diet Library to incorporate the library department into its umbrella as a branch library of the National Diet Library, leaving the books and facilities in the possession of the Foundation. The human part of the library work is outsourced to the National Diet Library. After that, Seikado Bunko left the umbrella of the National Diet Library in 1970 with the support of the Mitsubishi Group, and became a private library managed by the Mitsubishi Group again. From 1977, an attached exhibition room was set up to open the exhibition of the works of art in the library, and in 1992, a permanent museum was opened in the new building built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of its founding. The exhibition gallery of the Seikado Bunko Museum is scheduled to move to the Meiji Seimei Kan in Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo in 2022. Only the exhibition gallery will be relocated, and the storage of art, the work of the Seikado Bunko (library stack), and the management of the garden will continue in Okamoto, Setagaya-ku. This relocation will be carried out as part of the 30th anniversary of the museum's opening and the commemorative project of Mitsubishi's 150th anniversary (2020).


The library is open to researchers, and specifically, those who are university students or above and have a letter of introduction are eligible to use it. Browsing is by appointment only. Contribute to research