Ansan is a city located on the west coast of the southwestern part of Gyeonggi-do, South Korea. It borders Siheung City and Anyang City to the north, Gunpo City, Uiwang City, Suwon City to the east, and Hwaseong City to the south. Seonjaedo Island and Yeonryuk Bridge are connected to Yeongheung-myeon, Ongjin-gun, Incheon to the west, centering on Daebudo Island. With the Banwol National Industrial Complex and Sihwa National Industrial Complex in the background, it has developed into an industrial city and has many foreign workers, so the Wongok-dong area is designated as a special multicultural zone. Access to areas such as Seoul and other areas has increased through high-speed national highways and subways in the metropolitan area, and Gojan New Town was developed along with the expansion of industrial areas through the development of the Sihwa Industrial Complex. On November 11, 2009, the first local government in the Republic of Korea to operate City Hall 24 hours a day. Special exceptions may be made in accordance with Article 175 of the Local Autonomy Act, and it is a member of the National Metropolitan Council of Mayors. Ansan street theater festival is held every year.
The name Ansan has been used since the Goryeo Dynasty. What was called Janggu-gun (獐口郡) during the Silla period was renamed Ansan-gun (安山郡) in 940 during the Goryeo period, and Ansan-hyeon (安山縣) in 1018. On September 24, 1906, Bukbang-myeon, Seonggot-myeon, and Wolgok-myeon of Gwangju-gun were incorporated into Ansan-gun. With the abolition of Ansan-gun on April 1, 1914, 'Gunmyeon' and 'Suam-myeon' were incorporated into Siheung-gun, and Bukbang-myeon, Seonggot-myeon, and Wolgok-myeon, which were incorporated in Gwangju-gun 8 years ago, were renamed 'Banwol-myeon' and transferred to Suwon-gun. was incorporated
When the national industrial complex was built here in 1976 or when the Banwol branch office was established in 1979, the name representing the region was Banwol (半月), the most popular name for the region. The name of the city was almost decided as Banwolsi. However, Hak-Jin Oh, a member of the National Assembly who attended the groundbreaking ceremony for Banwol Industrial City, said, "There is a problem in naming Banwol-myeon, which is only 1/3 of the total area, as the city name. Please build a . Raising the issue, he submitted several petitions to the government saying that the name of the newly promoted city should be Ansan City, which has a history of 1,000 years. As a result of reviewing this, the government recognized that it was justifiable and finally confirmed the name of the Banwol District to Ansan City, and promoted it to Ansan City on January 1, 1986.
It has been a fishing village famous for good seafood and salt since ancient times, and a village and a fish market were formed as a single area together with the present-day southern area of Siheung-si, Gyeonggi-do. developed into a major town. In particular, it was located on the road to Mapo, one of the main ports to China, and trade started from the Chaemeori port in the city. This area was known in earnest from the Goryeo Dynasty under the name of ‘Ansan’, and was also called by the nickname ‘Yeonseong’ from the early Joseon Dynasty. It is also known as the place where Silhak Ik Seongho, a scholar of the Joseon Dynasty, worked.