Hiroshima City (Japanese: 広島市, Metropolitan City) is the prefectural capital of Hiroshima Prefecture. It is the 11th most populous city in Japan, and in 1974, the population exceeded 800,000, and as a result of requests for designation as a ordinance-designated city, it was designated as a ordinance-designated city on April 1, 1980. Located in the western part of Hiroshima Prefecture, it is the largest city in the Chugoku and Shikoku regions.
Geographically, it is located almost in the south-central part of the Sanyo region, making it the center of the Hiroshima metropolitan area. Because it is located almost halfway between the Keihanshin and Fukuoka metropolitan areas, there are also many regional bases of government agencies and national companies that oversee the Chugoku and Shikoku regions. It is also one of the leading industrial cities in western Japan, and the coastal area forms an industrial zone. In recent years, while the outflow of the population to the suburbs has continued to be seen, a trend toward a return to the city center is also observed, such as the increase in population density in Naka-ku.
Hiroshima was founded in 1589 by Terumoto Mori on the coastal delta of the Seto Inland Sea. Hiroshima Castle was built quickly, and Terumoto was moved here in 1593 from its former base, Koriyama Castle. Terumoto was defeated at the Battle of Sekigahara. His victor, Ieyasu Tokugawa, confiscated most of Terumoto's estates, including Hiroshima, and gave them to Masanori Fukushima, a daimyo who supported him. Hiroshima Castle was handed over to Asano Nagaakira in 1619, and Nagaakira was appointed daimyo in the area. Under the Asano clan, the city prospered, developed and expanded without any major military conflicts or disturbances. The Asano clan ruled the area until the Meiji Restoration in the 19th century.
Hiroshima served as the capital of the Hiroshima Domain during the Edo period, and after the abolished feudal prefecture in 1871, the city became the prefectural seat of Hiroshima Prefecture. With urbanization in the Meiji period, Hiroshima became a major city in Japan. In the 1870s, one of the government-sponsored schools was established in Hiroshima, and in the 1880s, with the efforts of Senda Sadaaki, Hiroshima prefectural governor, Ujina Port was built and Hiroshima became an important port city. In 1894, the Sanyo Railway was extended to Hiroshima, and a railway station was built in the port for military transport during the Sino-Japanese War. During the war, the Japanese government temporarily moved to Hiroshima and made Hiroshima Castle its headquarters from September 15, 1894 to April 27, 1895. The importance of Hiroshima can also be seen in the first meeting between the representatives of the two countries from February 1, 1895 to February 4, 1895, after the end of the Sino-Japanese War. In the late 19th century, new mills, including a spinning mill, were established in Hiroshima. What further stimulated Hiroshima's industrialization was the Russo-Japanese War of 1904, which required the development and production of military supplies. In 1915, the Hiroshima Product Exhibition Hall was built, and it became a center for trade and exhibition of new products.
Drop the Atomic Bomb
During World War II, Hiroshima became the base of the Imperial Japanese Army and Ujina Port became the base of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The city also had a large barracks and was a transport hub. At 8:15 a.m. on August 6, 1945, the US dropped the world's first atomic bomb, Little Boy, into the heart of Hiroshima City. At that time, the population of Hiroshima City was about 340,000, but about 70-80,000 people died during August 6, and after the war