Nidaros Cathedral, actually Nidaros Cathedral, in Trondheim is Norway's most central church in power to be Olav the Saint's grave church. It is today a Lutheran cathedral and parish church and is considered Norway's national shrine. The Norwegian Constitution of 1814 stipulated that the regent of the Kingdom of Norway would be crowned in Trondheim. Nidaros Cathedral was last used as a coronation church in 1906, when Haakon VII was crowned. After the Storting abolished the coronation ceremony in 1908, the church has been used for signing by King Olav (1958) and King Harald and Queen Sonja (1991). The Norwegian crown regalia have been stored in the church and are now on display in the Archbishop's Palace nearby.
The church was started around 1070. It has been exposed to a number of major fires and restorations. The greatest work must be the reconstruction of the nave, which had stood as a roofless ruin for almost four hundred years after the fire in 1531. The restoration work of Nidaros Cathedral began in 1869, and the last statue on the western front was erected in 1983.
Until the Reformation in 1537, the church also had the lofty nickname "Cor Norvegiae" (Heart of Norway), because St. Olav's casket was located behind the high altar. A more common name was Christ Church in Nidaros; although the church was strongly connected with Saint Olav, it was not dedicated to him, but to the Holy Trinity.
The Church in the Middle Ages
The church and Olav's tomb became an important pilgrimage destination for the whole of Northern Europe, although it is also proven that pilgrims came from many other parts of the Christian world. In the Middle Ages, Nidaros Cathedral was the cathedral for a Catholic archbishop (before 1153: bishop), and the archdiocese of Nidaros' church province included suffragan dioceses throughout Norway and in the then or former Norwegian tax lands. The responsibility for the Cathedral's choir prayer was taken care of by the Augustinian choir ministers and by the secular clergy, in that these two categories within the clergy each accounted for half of the priests. The Augustinian choirs had their monastery at Helgeseter, on the other side of the Nidelven.
The archbishop's manor, which was the archbishop's residence, was located immediately south of the church.
After the Reformation
After the Reformation, the church continued as a cathedral in the diocese of Trondheim for the Lutheran superintendent, who replaced the bishop. From 1578, the church became the parish church for a Lutheran parish - the parish of Nidaros Cathedral - and still is. The superintendent's office regained the title of bishop in 1660 in the Lutheran diocese, but the Lutheran bishop did not have the rank of archbishop and was not a primate either. The king of Copenhagen was the head of the church, and Trondheim was no longer Norway's ecclesiastical capital.
Nidaros Cathedral is a cathedral in a European context, although in size it can not compete with the largest and most magnificent cathedrals in France, Germany and England. Of the medieval bishops' churches in the Norwegian church province, only Stavanger Cathedral and Magnus Cathedral on the Orkney Islands have survived. The cathedral in Bergen has almost completely disappeared, and the Hallvard Cathedral in Oslo and the cathedral in Hamar are the only ruins left. Nidaros Cathedral is also the only church in Norway that has a fully developed Gothic basilica with stair arches. Unlike all other Lutheran parishes in Norway, the building responsibility is not a municipal responsibility, but from 1869 taken care of over the state budget, with the establishment of the Nidaros Cathedral restoration work. .
Place choice associated with Olav the Holy
Nidaros Cathedral is built over the supposed first temporary burial site for Olav Haraldsson, who was killed in the battle of Stiklestad in 1030. He was first laid in a sand dune by Nidelven just above Trondheimskaupangen, allegedly where the choir in Nidaros Cathedral is today. However, this has been discussed; a possible alternative location is on the meter above Olavskilden by Hadrian's place by the Nidelven. The water from the spring has recently been led down to the place where it can be seen today. Snorre Sturlason reported