40 mm anti-aircraft gun Bofors

Article

October 28, 2021

{{Towed infobox}} Unknown fields: "bullet weight". Anti-aircraft gun Bofors 40 mm - anti-aircraft gun of the Swedish company Bofors constructed before the start of World War II, widely used by the Allied countries on land and at sea.

40mm L / 60

It was developed in 1933 at the Swedish company Bofors and then adopted by many countries around the world. Although the design is already very advanced in age, in some countries this weapon is still in use. Despite the L / 60 designation adopted by Bofors, all guns of this type produced in the world had a barrel length of 56¼ caliber, with the exception of those manufactured in Japan. Bofors also produced an earlier version of these 40 mm L / 43 ubåtsautomatkanon Model 1932 guns, intended for submarines with a 52 cm shorter barrel. Contrary to many repeated information, L / 43 barrels have never been installed on Polish ships. Throughout the production period, the gun was modernized many times and produced in various versions (depending on the date and country of production). The cannon was mounted on various bases - land, sea and also on vehicles. It was produced in single, double and quadruple versions.

Use in the Polish Army

The Polish Navy was the first to purchase the 40 mm guns Bofors. 2 doubled naval sets were purchased in May 1934 and 4 more in December of that year. The first Polish cannons of this type for the land forces, in the number of 60, were purchased in Sweden in December 1935. Then, the license production was started in Poland. The gun was characterized by good ballistic properties and was effective against air targets at altitudes of up to 3,000 m. Before the war, it was intended to reach 638 cannons. Despite the lack of this gun in the army, SePeWe sold 168 cannons abroad, incl. to Great Britain, Romania and the Netherlands. Probably not all of these cannons reached their addressees, because 8 cannons were found on the coast in the duty free zone, from which two batteries were formed, one for Gdynia and the other for Hel. In the field forces, traction for the gun was provided by the C2P artillery tractor, which was also used as a tractive force for ammunition and equipment trailers. On December 10, 1937, 1st Deputy Minister of Military Affairs, Brigadier General Janusz Głuchowski introduced the regulations of anti-aircraft artillery "Działoczyn with 40 mm anti-aircraft gun wz. 1936 AND r vol .2 - 1 1937 {\ displaystyle {\ tfrac {Art. 2-1} {1937}}} ". The regulations stipulated that the gunner's staff numbered nine gunners under the command of a gunner: direction aimer, height sight, sight, loader, calculator, ammunition, handout, tractor driver with a gun, tractor driver with an ammunition trailer. Two guns formed a fire platoon. In addition, the platoon included the platoon commander, "measuring" - deputy platoon commander and measurement team commander, radio patrol and combat vehicle commander. These cannons were less mobile and intended to protect objects. The simplified tow truck was cheaper to produce and a truck was enough to move it. In September 1939, the Polish Army had 358 cannons of this type. This allowed for the formation of 40 four-gun batteries for infantry divisions, 2 four-gun batteries for armored-motor brigades, 11 two-gun batteries for cavalry brigades, and 81 air, military and military personnel.

INSERT INTO `wiki_article`(`id`, `article_id`, `title`, `article`, `img_url`) VALUES ('NULL()','40_mm_armata_przeciwlotnicza_Bofors','40 mm anti-aircraft gun Bofors','This allowed for the formation of 40 four-gun batteries for infantry divisions, 2 four-gun batteries for armored-motor brigades, 11 two-gun batteries for cavalry brigades, and 81 air, military and military personnel.','https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Bofors_p-lot_1939.png')