Karlovy Vary

Article

August 13, 2022

Karlovy Vary (part. Karlovy Vary, German. Karlsbad) - a statutory city in Western Bohemia, the capital of the Karlovy Vary Region. It is located in the Sokołowski Basin, at the foot of the Sławkowski Forest, at the confluence of the Ohrza and Tepla rivers. It is the largest Czech health resort and the largest of the cities forming the so-called the West Bohemian spa triangle (Karlovy Vary - Marianske Lazne - Frantiskovy Lazne). According to data from January 1, 2017, Karlovy Vary is inhabited by 49,046 people (18th place in the Czech Republic), and the city area is 59.10 km².

Natural conditions

Karlovy Vary is located on the border of two physico-geographic regions: the Sokołowski Basin, which is part of the Podrudawa Foothills, and the Sławkowski Forest, which belongs to the Karlovy Vary Upland. Mountain areas cover a significant part of the city. Within its borders there are peaks: Vítkův vrch, 644 m above sea level Výšina věčného mládí, 638 m above sea level Doubská hora, 610 m above sea level Výšina přátelství, 556 m above sea level Tři kříže, 554 m above sea level Jižní vrch, 514 m above sea level Čertův kámen, 512 m above sea level Vřesový vrch, 476 m above sea level Jelení ski jump, 473 m above sea level Helenin dvůr, 435 m above sea level. Four rivers flow through the town - Ohrza and its three tributaries: Teplá, Rolava and Chodovský potok. On Tepla, in the Březová village bordering Karlovy Vary, the artificial lake Březová was created in 1934 by the construction of a 40-meter dam in 1934, the main purpose of which is to protect the city from floods. The mountain areas are located within the Sławkowski Forest Landscape Park.

Districts

Karlovy Vary consists of fifteen districts: Karlovy Vary (Karlovy Vary) - downtown Bohatice Cihelny Čankov Doubí Drahovice Dvory Hůrky Olšová Vrata Počerny Rosnice Rybáře Sedlec Stará Role Tašovice Tuhnice

History

The history of Karlovy Vary begins in 1350, when the future emperor Charles IV decided to establish a settlement called the Hot Baths near Elbows near the hot spring discovered on the Teplá River, in the forests of Łokie, and later renamed Karl (Karl) to Karlovy Vary. Twenty years later, on August 14, 1370, the same emperor granted the town municipal rights. In 1522 in Leipzig, the doctor Václav Payer published the first specialist book on the healing properties of the springs of Karlovy Vary. Soon, however, the glory of the town came to an end - in 1582 there was a great flood, and a fire in 1604 burnt 99 out of 102 buildings. In 1618 the Thirty Years' War broke out, which resulted in a drastic reduction in the number of patients. The Karlovy Vary had to find other sources of income - crafts. The rebirth of Karlovy Vary as a health resort was brought by the 18th century. The largest group of visitors to the city were the Saxon, Polish and Russian nobility. The two-time stay of Tsar Peter the Great in the years 1711–1712 was of great importance for the popularization of the spa, especially among Russians. In 1707, Karlovy Vary was granted the status of a royal free city. Rebuilding the city after the disastrous fire of 1759, which destroyed most of the wooden buildings, heralded the great changes that were to come one hundred years later. At that time, Grandhotel Pupp, the theater and the Spa Colonnade (all rebuilt in the 19th century). In 1807, Jan Becher started the production of Becherovka liqueur - in the later years the most famous product of Karlovy Vary. The largest industrial plant that was established in the nineteenth-century city was the Moser glassworks, established in 1857, specializing in the manual production of lead-free crystal, which during its 20 years of existence gained the status of a supplier of the Viennese court, as well as commercial representatives in America ( Currently, there is a museum at the steelworks). An important event to