Evangelical-Augsburg Church in Poland
Evangelical-Augsburg Church in the Republic of Poland - the oldest and largest Evangelical (Protestant) Church in Poland and currently the only Lutheran Church in the Republic of Poland. Member of the Lutheran World Federation, the World Council of Churches, the Conference of European Churches and the Polish Ecumenical Council. The press body is the "Evangelical Trailer". The head of the Church is Bishop Jerzy Samiec. In 2020, the Church had 60,900 faithful (including 196 clergy) in 133 parishes. She provides pastoral care for approximately 70,000 people.
Lutherans appeared in Poland shortly after Martin Luther's speech. Luther's teachings were well received in the Republic of Poland and in its immediate neighbors. They gained special recognition in the areas of Ducal Prussia, Cieszyn Silesia, Lesser Poland and Greater Poland. The edict of Sigismund I the Old of 1523 stated that anyone who introduced these luthier works, sold, bought, read; or he proclaimed, defended or praised Luther's principles, so that apart from burning the books themselves, he would also be punished by death at the stake and confiscation of all goods.
In 1525 Albrecht Hohenzollern secularized Ducal Prussia and established Lutheranism as the state religion. He led to the translation and publication of the first New Testament in Polish in 1553, translated by Stanisław Murzynowski.
In Cieszyn Silesia, Lutheranism was introduced by Wacław III Adam, who ruled the Duchy of Cieszyn at that time, who popularized this religion to such an extent that Lutheranism became the dominant religion in the Duchy. Also prince Frederick II, who belonged to the Silesian branch of the Piast dynasty, introduced Lutheranism in his lands.
The history of the Evangelical-Augsburg Church in the Republic of Poland begins after the end of the First World War. The reborn Poland was created from three partitions that differed not only in terms of the political system, but also religiously. About 900,000 Evangelicals belonging to various Churches were found within the borders of the Polish state, incl. The Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in the Kingdom of Poland, the Evangelical Church of the Union with the consistory in Poznań (Wielkopolska and Pomerania), the Evangelical Church of the Union in Polish Upper Silesia with its seat in Katowice, the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg and Helvetic Faiths based in Stanisławów and the Evangelical Church of Luters in Western Poland (Old Lutheran).
The Evangelical-Augsburg Church in the Republic of Poland was the heir of the Evangelical-Augsburg Church in the Kingdom of Poland, which operated in the territory of the Russian partition and the parish of the Silesian superintendent of the Evangelical Church in Austria. After the rebirth of the Republic of Poland, it also covered parishes from other regions of the country. The first superintendent general, Fr. Julius Bursche. In 1936, the decree of the President of the Republic of Poland of November 25, 1936, on the relationship of the State to the Evangelical-Augsburg Church in the Republic of Poland, entered into force. In accordance with its provisions, the Bishop of the Church was the head of the Church, the administrative authority was exercised by the Consistory, and the legislative authority by the Synod. The church was divided into 10 dioceses headed by seniors. The act also guaranteed the internal independence of the Church and provided a legal basis for its development. In the interwar period, the diaconate "Eben Ezer" was established in Dzięgielów. The Faculty of Evangelical Theology of the University of Warsaw was established. There were 5 evangelical hospitals, a few nursing homes, the "Tabita" diaconate was developing. In 1922 it was divided into 8 superintendentiaries (dioceses), and then until 1925 the Augustów superintendentura was incorporated into