California Academy of Sciences

Article

August 11, 2022

The California Academy of Sciences is a US scientific organization that exists in the form of a large natural history museum (Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California). Created in 1853. Engaged in scientific research, exhibitions and education. The completely remodeled new building opened on September 27, 2008 at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

History

The Academy was founded in 1853 under the name The California Academy of Natural Sciences 3 years after California joined the United States and became the first organization of its kind in the entire West of the state. Its purpose was declared a systematic study of nature and the collection of collections. In 1868, the academy was renamed and received its modern name. The first official academy museum was opened in 1874 at the corner of California and Dupont Streets (now Grant Avenue) in the microdistrict now known as Chinatown, with attendance of up to 80,000 people a year. Given its increasing popularity, the academy moved to a new and larger building on Market Street in 1891, aided by philanthropist James Leak, a well-known San Francisco real estate tycoon and 19th-century entrepreneur. However, 15 years later, the largest earthquake in San Francisco (1906) destroyed the entire street, including the academy building. Half the population of the city died, many buildings were destroyed, among them the library and the collection of the academy. It was possible to save only a part of the books, reports of members of the academy and 2000 standard copies. In 1916, the academy moved to the North American Hall of Birds and Mammals in Golden Gate Park, which became their new home. In 1923 the Steinhart Aquarium was added, and in 1934 the Simson African Hall appeared. In the post-war years, construction expanded, new buildings appeared: Science Hall (added in 1951), Morrison Planetarium (1952; this planetarium became the 7th largest planetarium in the United States); Malliard Library, Eastwood Hall of Botany, Livermore Room (all in 1959); Cowell Hall (1969). A new earthquake in 1989 caused further damage to the buildings of the academy, some of which were destroyed. In this regard, it was decided to build a new building, which was opened on September 27, 2008 in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. A new large building built in Golden Gate Park (San Francisco, K