Cincinnati Consolidated Station

Article

July 3, 2022

Cincinnati Consolidated Station is an operating passenger rail station and museum center housed in its station building, located on the western edge of Cincinnati, Ohio. The station was built between 1928 and 1933 to consolidate the passenger operations of the seven independent railways previously carried out by the city's five stations. Due to the Great Depression and motorization, passenger traffic through the station did not reach the design values. After the Second World War, the number of trains was continuously reduced, and in 1972 the movement completely stopped. The track facilities of the station were partially dismantled, partially re-profiled for freight traffic. The passenger concourse (distribution hall), apron platforms, post office and other station buildings were demolished. The main building of the station has been preserved and has been used as a city museum since 1990. Passenger service - the only Amtrak branded train - was resumed in 1991. The Cincinnati Station building is the pinnacle of American Art Deco architecture. The project embodied, on the one hand, the experience and theoretical ideas of the master of railway construction Alfred Felheimer, and on the other hand, the work of architects Roland Wenk and Paul-Philippe Crete and muralists Pierre Bourdelle, Maxfield Keck, Wynold Reiss and William Henschel, who created a strong artistic image. After the restoration of the 2010s, the strict, ascetic from the outside, the station welcomes visitors with a riot of colors of the rotunda lobby and elegant interiors of salons, halls and offices. The building houses four museums, an Omnimax cinema, a city library and archives.

History

Background

The city of Cincinnati, founded in 1788, is located on the right, north bank of the Ohio River. About three kilometers west of the historic center of the city, in a north-south direction, a tributary of the Ohio, the Mill Creek River, flows. In the early decades of the city's existence, the low-lying, frequently flooded Mill Creek Valley served as its natural western boundary. There were slaughterhouses and canneries between the old town and Mill Creek Valley. By 1842, the city had become the largest meat processing plant in the world.