The Battle of Petrovaradin (German: Schlacht von Peterwardein) is a battle that took place on August 5, 1716 during the Austro-Turkish war of 1716-1718 near the Petrovaradin fortress between the Austrian army under the command of Eugene of Savoy and the army of the Ottoman Empire. It ended with a decisive victory for the Austrians.
Having attacked the Venetian possessions in Morea in 1716, the Turks forced the Austrian emperor Charles VI to start a new war with Turkey, since he was the guarantor of the Karlovtsy peace. On July 9, the commander-in-chief of the Austrian army in Hungary, Prince Eugene of Savoy, concentrated his troops in the town of Futake, Bachersky district. The Turks concentrated in Belgrade under the command of the Grand Vizier Damad Ali Pasha, and on July 26 and 27, having crossed the Sava, they encamped at Palovcha. Upon learning of this crossing, Eugene of Savoy sent Count Palfi with 1000 cavalry to reconnoiter, but the latter, being attacked by superior Turkish forces, was forced to retreat with the loss of up to 700 prisoners. Then Prince Eugene with troops crossed on August 2 across two bridges to the right bank of the Danube and camped at Peterwardein, occupying the fortifications in which General Caprara defended himself in the previous war with the Turks, in 1694. The Turks, continuing to move along the right bank of the Danube, reached the positions of the imperials on August 3, where they immediately began to build a fortified line, trying at the same time to destroy the bridges behind enemy lines.
Forces of the parties
Prince Eugene, despite the superiority of the enemy in forces, decided to attack the latter, for which, on the morning of August 5, he deployed his 187 squadrons and 72 battalions (22,000 cavalry and 41,000 infantry) into battle formation. Having built infantry in 2 lines with a reserve behind and placing cavalry on the flanks, he secured the bypass of his left flank by a swamp, and his right by high mountains, while the center was reinforced by fortifications. The command of the infantry was entrusted to General Geister, the cavalry to Count Palfi, and the reserve, which consisted of 25 squadrons, to General Spleny.
The vizier also built his 150,000 strong army. It consisted of 40,000 Janissaries under the command of Hussein Pasha, 30,000 Sipahs and 10,000 Tatars. The rest of the army was made up of Egyptians, Arvanites and Vlachs. Lion command