Flag of Georgia
The flag of Georgia (Georgian ხუთჯვრიანი დროშა, five-cross flag) - along with the emblem and anthem - is one of the main official symbols of Georgia. It has been used by the Georgian state since the 13th century and is one of the oldest flags in the world.
The current flag was adopted in 2004, before being approved by the country's parliament as the state flag, it was used by Mikheil Saakashvili's United National Movement. Georgian researcher Iosif Bichikashvili notes that images of five crosses on the territory of Georgia were found in the ruins of the Nekre church (not later than the 6th century), on the facades of the churches of St. George in Bochorma (X-XI centuries) and Chkhari (XIII-XIV centuries); Dmanisi (XIV-XV centuries.), etc.
A white flag with a red cross of St. George was allegedly used in the 5th century by the Georgian king Vakhtang Gorgasal.
It is also believed that Queen Tamar used a flag with a dark red cross and a star in a white field.
On the map of the Pizzigani brothers of 1367, Tiflis is marked with the Jerusalem Cross (a large cross surrounded by four smaller crosses). Georgian historian D. Kldiashvili suggests that the Jerusalem cross was adopted during the reign of George the Brilliant.
The current flag was adopted in 2004 by a special "Flag Law". As amended on 09/06/2013:
Article 2 1. The State Flag of Georgia is a white rectangular cloth with a large red cross in the center and identical red crosses in the form of the so-called Bolnisi Cross in the four corners.
The modern flag of Georgia is a rectangular white panel with four small equilateral Bolnisi-Katskhi red crosses in four quadrants and one central St. George cross. Depicted on the state flag of Georgia, one rectangular cross and four small crosses in the corners on a silver (white) background are a common Christian symbol, personifying Jesus Christ the Savior and the four evangelists. Silver (white) color in heraldry indicates innocence, purity, purity, wisdom, and red - courage, bravery, justice and love.
Flag of the Kingdom of Kartli-Kakheti
In 1762 with