The Stockholm Concert Hall is located in the Konserthuset 2 district in the center of Stockholm at Hötorget at the corner of Kungsgatan and Sveavägen. The building was built in the years 1924–1926 according to drawings by architect Ivar Tengbom.
The concert hall, which was inaugurated on April 7, 1926, is considered, together with a few other buildings, to be one of the most prominent examples of Swedish 1920s classicism and was one of the first buildings in Sweden specifically intended for orchestral music. The Concert Hall in Stockholm has, as a house of music, but also as an individual building, few equivalents either in Sweden or abroad. Several of the 1920s' foremost Swedish artists and designers contributed to the design of the interior, where the Grünewald Hall is one of the highlights. With the Concert Hall and the PUB department store, which were built at the same time, Hötorget got a completely new look.
Since 1926, the Nobel Prize in Medicine, Physics, Chemistry and Literature has been awarded on December 10 every year in Stockholm Concert Hall. The Polar Music Prize, which was established in 1989, has been awarded annually in the Concert Hall since 2004. Two literary prizes, the Literature Prize in memory of Astrid Lindgren and the August Prize, have also been awarded here since 2010 and 2008 respectively.
The concert hall building is rated blue by the City Museum in Stockholm, which means that the buildings' cultural-historical value is considered to correspond to the requirements for building monuments in the Cultural Environment Act by the City Museum.
At the end of the 1860s, the ideas of a separate house for symphonic music in Stockholm were formulated for the first time. The Fersenska terrace on Blasieholmen was envisioned and a proposal was prepared by architect Johan Fredrik Åbom. However, the project was never carried out and it took until the beginning of the 20th century before the issue was raised again. Several projects were presented to solve the local problem, but financial resources were lacking. At that time, the Concert Association, which had been formed in 1902, conducted its musical activities in temporary and non-functional premises. After 1914 and until 1926, the Auditorium (the old, rebuilt gas clock at Norra Bantorget) was the Stockholm Concert Association's main hall.
In 1917, in the final stages of the First World War, the Concert Association had found a suitable plot in the Hästhuvudet district on the east side of Hötorget. The neighborhood consisted of older properties from the 18th and 19th centuries; among other things, there was a printing house here and the editorial staff for Svenska Morgonbladet. The merchant Paul Urban Bergström had his shop for men's clothes, boys' clothes and fabrics in one of the buildings. The place was well chosen. The area around Hötorget and the area by Kungsgatan and Sveavägen gained new status around the turn of the century 1900 when more and more business people established themselves here as the Old Town began to be abandoned as the capital's business center in favor of Nedre Norrmalm. Kungsgatan's extension to the east had just been completed and the street was being expanded to a new commercial street of a more international standard, and for Sveavägen there were far-reaching plans for an extension to the south (see Norrmalms regulation).
A committee was formed (with, among others, Prince Eugene and Josef Sachs as members) and private donations began to flow in. Among the largest gifts was a private testamentary donation of SEK 400,000 from Rosa Nachmanson (born Davidson). At her death in 1916, she left a fortune of SEK 3.3 million. Some would be "used for charitable or non-profit purposes or for purposes which promote fine arts or sciences". Almost as much capital was donated by her brother, Ernst Davidson; they were children of the confectioner Wilhelm Davidson had opened the restaurant Hasselbacken in Stockholm. Both donations laid the foundation for a realization of the concert hall project. Additional grants totaling SEK 700,000 came from some bank directors, led by Knut Wallenberg. An application g