Oleksandr Dovzhenko Film Studio
Oleksandr Dovzhenko National Film Studio of Feature Films is a state Ukrainian film studio in Kyiv.
In 1925, the All-Ukrainian Photocinema Administration (VUFKU) announced a competition for the project of a film factory. Out of 20 works, Valeriyan Rykov's project was chosen, in the development of which students of the senior year of the architectural faculty of the Kyiv Art Institute took part. After the competition, the choice of place was of great importance. A special commission in Kyiv inspected three plots of land. The area near Pushkin Park was recognized as the best and most convenient, because there was a water supply, sewage system and, most importantly, an opportunity to establish the factory's electricity supply. The experience of building the Kyiv Film Factory was later used in the construction of similar enterprises in Moscow and other cities. The construction plan was approved that same year, and construction began in the spring of 1927. The construction was carried out according to the German model on a 40-hectare paddock with a central pavilion (110 by 40 meters; 3,600 square meters of usable area), where it was possible to shoot 24 feature films and 12 other films at the same time with a power of 13 thousand direct amperes and 6 thousand alternating current. This film factory, at that time, was the largest film studio in the USSR and provided about half of Soviet film production.
The first film of the studio was "Vanka and the Avenger" directed by Axel Lundin and cameraman A. Mines. This is a film for children, conceived by Lundin in the manner of "Red Devils" by Ivan Perestiani, about a shepherd who stole secret documents from the enemy and escapes from the punitive squad thanks to the Reds. Filming started on October 12, 1927 and went on at night, because the construction of the pavilions ended during the day. "Vanka and the Avenger" was released in 1928. In the same year, two short feature-documentary films were shot - M. Kaufman's "Nursery" and D. Vertov's "Eleventh".
With the beginning of the filming of the first films, the studio began a full-fledged, stormy creative life. Talented, already experienced masters of the screen came to the film studio: directors — Oleksandr Dovzhenko, Arnold Kordyum, Pavlo Dolyna, Leonid Lukov, Ivan Kavaleridze, Faust Lopatynskyi, Igor Savchenko; operators — Danylo Demutskyi, Yurii Yekelchyk, Mykola Topchii, Y�