Telč (Czech: Telč, German: Teltsch, Latin: Telcz) is a town in southwestern Moravia in the Czech Republic. Since 2000 it has been a part of the Vysochina Region administrative region. City-museum, the first object from the Czech Republic in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The first written mention of Telč dates back to 1315. In 1333, Margrave Karel (later the Czech King and German Emperor Charles IV) bought Telč Castle. In 1339 the castle was bought from the king by Oldrich Witkowicz from Hradec. The city has already grown around the castle, and near the castle walls there is a large shopping area surrounded by merchant houses. The unique shape of Telč was due to the fact that on the one hand the growth of the quarters was limited by a moat and a castle wall, on the other - by ponds. In the 16th century the castle and the town were owned by seniors from Hradec.
The main (market) square of the city is named after Zachary from Hradec. The castle was rebuilt in the Renaissance style by masters Antonio Vlach and Baldassar Maggi de Ronio. The facades of the houses on the main square were also rebuilt in the Renaissance and Baroque styles.
In 1604 the family of seniors of Hradec was transferred to the male line, and the city became the property of the Slavat family. The next stage of the city's development belonged entirely to the Jesuit order - a Jesuit college and several schools, an astronomical observatory, a music school and one of the most beautiful city churches were built in the city. In the 17th century, Telč came under the ownership of the Liechtenstein family and remains a quiet provincial town to this day.
In 1971, the city was declared an architectural reserve, and since 1992 included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Since 1995, Telč State Castle has also been a national cultural monument.
The city covers an area of 9 hectares and contains 85 historical monuments. Its center is a Renaissance castle. The golden hall in the northern part of the castle complex features a fine gilded ceiling, decorated in 1561, and demonstrates the significant influence of Italian art. The last stage of reconstruction was carried out under the supervision of Baldassar Maggio de Arongo and dates back to the end of the XVI century. The most interesting sights are:
Zacharias Square. Initially, the Old Town of Telč was built of wood, but in 1386 it was demolished