2048 (game)

Article

August 8, 2022

2048 is a video game, originally browser-based, written by 19-year-old Italian developer Gabriele Cirulli in the JavaScript programming language. The game is a number puzzle with a field in the form of a square 4x4 cell. The goal of the game is to stack tiles with numbers to get a tile with the denomination "2048", hence the name (but you can continue further if you wish). The game code is open and posted on the developer's GitHub page.

Gameplay

The game starts on a square field of 16 cells, where two cells are occupied by tiles with the denomination "2" and "4". Each tile can be moved horizontally or vertically. Each time a player moves a tile, an additional tile of "2" (90% chance) or "4" (10% chance) appears on the field. Two tiles of the same denomination, being placed on one cell, merge into one whose denomination is equal to the sum of the merged ones. If there are more than two tiles of the same denomination standing next to each other in one line after movement, they merge automatically. Each denomination corresponds to its own color, the higher the denomination, the "hotter" color. For each merger, the game points are increased by the denomination of the newly formed tile. The goal is to get the "2048" tile, after which you are allowed to continue. The game ends if no tiles can be merged after the next move.

Development

According to the author, quoted in the Los Angeles Times, the game "2048" was written in less than two days as a programming exercise. Cirulli considers his creation an "accidental foray into the gaming industry" and has no plans to develop games in the future. 2048 is prefigured by the commercial game Threes, whose creators were unhappy with the success of 2048 and called Cirulli's game a "corrupt plagiarism". After the release of Threes, several clones appeared in the App Store, including the games "1024" and "2048" created by other developers. Cirulli was inspired by these games when developing his version. During the Russian-Ukrainian war, a special version of "2048" called "Play for Ukraine" was used to attack Russian sites by generating a constant stream of traffic.

Notes

Links

2048 Official Site [Archived 2 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine.] Windows Phone 2048 site Game code reading 2048. One cyber blog. 23 June 2014. Archived from the original on 7 April 2016. Retrieved 24 May