Wat Xieng Thong

Article

May 19, 2022

Wat Xieng Thong or Xieng Thong Pagoda is one of the oldest and most important temples of the city of Luang Prabang in Laos. The temple is located at the confluence of the Mekong and Nam Khan (or Nam Khan) rivers. The temple was built during the reign of King Setthathirat in 1559-1560. The name Wat Xieng Thong means temple of the golden city. From the entrance, on the left is a small temple, inside is the royal carriage. The car is massive, featuring gold color and decorated with 5 Naga snakes. This chariot was used by King Sisavong in 1960. As the most beautiful and important temple of Luang Prabang with typical Laotian architecture, the curved roof falls close to the ground. Wat Xieng Thong is the main temple surrounded by small shrines with the same architecture, forming a beautiful landscape. From the outside to the inside, on the walls we see a lot of reliefs, sculptures, elaborate carvings, sharp content based on Buddha relics. The interior of Wat Xieng Thoong must be said to be a masterpiece. Every shrine is the same. On the back of the Wat, on the wall is a painting of a tree of life, red-orange. Every year, on the occasion of Bunpimay (Lao New Year), all dignitaries in the Lao Buddhist Church as well as government officials in Luang Prabang gather at Xieng Thong pagoda to celebrate the new year, procession of Prabang statue from the Museum. When they returned to the yard of Wat Xieng Thong, everyone bathed the Prabang Buddha statue with perfume for a day, expressing their devotion to Buddhism.

Reference